FORUMS: list search recent posts

Millions vs Trillions in 8 bpc

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin Osmanovski
Millions vs Trillions in 8 bpc
on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:17:11 pm
Last Edited By Engin Osmanovski on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:24:45 pm

I rendered out a frame of my composition twice for comparison: One as PNG, 8bit and Millions of Colors selected. The other one as PNG, 8bit and Trillions of Colors selected. When i compared the two results, i couldn't see any visual difference. But Trillions of Colors version is 2 times larger than the other one (in terms of file size). So what is the point of rendering out with 8bits+Trillions of Colors if there will be no difference in visual quality? Why use Trillons of Colors with 8 bit?

The example images i am talking about can be downloaded from below:

http://www.filedropper.com/8bitmillionsofcolors
http://www.filedropper.com/8bittrillionsofcolors

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Millions vs Trillions in 8 bpc
on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:23:22 pm

[Engin Osmanovski] "So what is the point of rendering out with 8bits+Trillions of Colors if there will be no difference in visual quality? Why use Trillons of Colors with 8 bit?"

There is no point to outputting Trillions of Colors for an 8b project.

Output Trillions of Colors when you want to preserve the color depth in an a 16b project. Output Floating Point when you want to preserve the depth in a 32b project.

If you output at a lower depth than you are working (for example, working 32b float but outputting Millions of Colors), Ae will apply some dithering for you for smooth-looking results. You will preserve the same appearance you had on your monitor, but of course the output depth is lower and overbrights and superblacks are clamped.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]