FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CC 2014 and Red Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Sanginiti
After Effects CC 2014 and Red Footage
on Aug 24, 2014 at 6:09:06 pm

Hi Guys.....I need some advice. I have been asked to perform some compositing in AE CC 2014 using Red Epic footage. What is the best workflow? I have read that most VFX houses ask for the R3D files to be converted to 10 bit DPX sequences. Which color space should I set my AE project to when I import them into AE to work in a Red Log Film color space? How can I "normalize" the red footage so I can complete the comp in a correct linear image? Do I use adjustment layers with a lut? When I export, do I set the output to a Log format like Universal Camera Printing Density so the colorist has a log space to work in with the fx added? I'm confused....am I on the right page...any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
Re: After Effects CC 2014 and Red Footage
on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:08:34 am

I'm piggybacking on your request as well. I'd like to start off on the right foot with Red footage, but at present, can't import the .r3d files I've been given. If the answer isn't easy, anyone have link to a thorough workflow tutorial?

Return to posts index

Leon Sanginiti
on Sep 2, 2014 at 6:29:01 am

ANYONE???

Leon Sanginiti, Jr.
Obie Ray Post and VFX

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:47:35 pm

Leon, while the free REDCINE-X PRO app will adjust and export RED to most any file format you use, I discovered that I can also view the edit in Adobe Premiere Pro natively, which saved me from having to rebuild the edit. (The editor gave me the XML EDL as well, which is what I opened in PP)

Why Premiere can view it but Quicktime Player can't is beyond me, but nonetheless, that gave me the ability to export the whole sequence from Premiere to ProRes, which is what I'm using for my intermediate format.

In theory it would be even better to import that Premiere project as a dynamic link into After Effects, but I'm not doing that for two reasons:
1. After Effects immediately (without hang) throws an error: "failed to connect to adobe premiere pro dynamic link". A bit of research turned up no answers, so I need to move on and deal with that another time.
2. I've also read here in another post that while possible to dynamic link your AE comp to PP, it just slows things down keeping that edit live. My edit is locked at the post house, so while we might save a bit of quality by not re-compressing to another format, having that "change the edit" flexibility wouldn't be worth the attested sluggishness I read about.

Hope it helps,
Greg

Return to posts index

Leon Sanginiti
on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:18:45 pm

Thanks Greg, but the issue I'm having isn't so much an issue with importing the footage...I already intend to import a 10 bit DPX sequence of the r3d files...this makes it easier to work with for VFX in AE...I'm just confused on how to set the proper colorspace in AE so I can see a proper linear colorspace (sRGB) and do my FX and be able to match colors properly with the r3d footage (DPX sequence) and my FX layers. Also, I want to make sure I can render out appropriate log DPX files to the colorist who will then have the proper latitude to do a correction that matches the other non vfx footage he has worked on. I have seen several articles on doing this with Alexa Log C footage in DPX, but not sure if it's the same with Red footage. Again...all about the color space workflow and VFX

Leon Sanginiti, Jr.
Obie Ray Post and VFX

Return to posts index

Greg C Neumayer
on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:29:27 pm

Ah. Yeah, I could use the same advice.

Can you tell me briefly why 10 bit DPX is better to work with for VFX?

Return to posts index

Aidan Fraser
on Sep 14, 2014 at 8:22:14 pm

Hi Leon and Greg,
Have you found your answers yet? Doing a correct Linear workflow should be the default, but it seems to be the hardest thing to get right.
I have heard that the correct way to work with R3Ds is to do a one-light correction in REDCINE and export to exr sequences. This is because After Effects correctly interprets the exr files as linear-to-light, whereas it can screw up the colors in a R3D file. When you export your comp, that's when you do the conversion to 10bit log.
-Aidan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]