FORUMS: list search recent posts

color management not effecting output?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
color management not effecting output?
on Aug 19, 2014 at 9:49:07 am

I've read a lot about colour management in AE (and read a lot of posts of Walter Soyka), but still can't figure it out.
Before now I primarily worked with video footage, colour management turned off, not a single colour shift was visible.

Now I have to import some PSD, and PNG layers, and everything is messed up.
If I set the colour management tab - as Walter advises - to REC709, everything looks fine in AE, but if I render the file to a MOV or DPX, it doesn't look like that in Premiere, or Davinci. Renders look the same as if management would had been turned off, even though I've set up the output at the render tab.

Where have I gone wrong?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: color management not effecting output?
on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:26:03 am

[Laco Gaal] "Before now I primarily worked with video footage, colour management turned off, not a single colour shift was visible."

If all your inputs and all your outputs are in the same space, then no color management transforms are necessary to preserve the appearance of a color.

Color management is useful when you have multiple inputs of different profiles, or inputs and outputs of different profiles, or if you have profiled your monitor and want to see color more accurately. In each of these cases, Ae will do some math to translate the appearance of a color from one space to another.

[Laco Gaal] "Now I have to import some PSD, and PNG layers,"

Do you know what color profiles these image are supposed to use?

[Laco Gaal] "If I set the colour management tab - as Walter advises - to REC709, everything looks fine in AE, but if I render the file to a MOV or DPX, it doesn't look like that in Premiere, or Davinci. Renders look the same as if management would had been turned off, even though I've set up the output at the render tab."

How are you monitoring your output? Ae uses display color management, but neither Premiere nor Resolve manage color on the GUI monitor. (However, if you are using a Rec. 709 external video monitor, all should be the same there.)

The difference between sRGB and Rec. 709 is also relatively small.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Aug 19, 2014 at 11:14:14 am

First of all, thanks for your reply, you're saving me.

"Do you know what color profiles these image are supposed to use?"
Yes, mostly they are AdobeRGB, some if it are sRGB.

"How are you monitoring your output?"
I can monitor it through an external REC709 plasma, but only checked in Resolve GUI, I'll get back to you about the external monitor.

Meantime, I found a "solution", I don't know if it's a good one or not, but gave me good results so far. So I only had problems with graphics (these are very red).
I applied a Color Profile Converter set to "none" to the Display's own profile. I set this to every graphic layer, now in the exported Prores files, everything looks fine in Premiere, Davinci, etc.
Am I messing up, or is this a good workaround?:)

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 19, 2014 at 12:30:50 pm

[Laco Gaal] "I applied a Color Profile Converter set to "none" to the Display's own profile. I set this to every graphic layer, now in the exported Prores files, everything looks fine in Premiere, Davinci, etc."

Premiere Pro and Resolve are unmanaged, which means that they do not attempt to transform colors from the Rec 709 media to your display's profile in order to show you accurate color on your GUI monitor.

In practice, that means that if your display differs from Rec 709, it will display a different red color than a Rec 709 monitor would when supplied the same RGB values.

With your current workflow, you are manually managing for your own display, but to make the red look right for your monitor, you are making it wrong for a real Rec 709 device (and thus your Rec 709 deliverables).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:57:00 pm

Walter,
thanks a lot for your replies.
You were right.

The problem lied elsewhere (my display is a wide gamut display…so that's why in any unmanaged apps the reds were crazy), but figured out.

thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]