FORUMS: list search recent posts

Movement reveals colors from B&W

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ange loron
Movement reveals colors from B&W
on Aug 6, 2014 at 1:57:08 am

I am working on an advertisement for a body lotion and I would like to have the whole video in B&W but when the lady puts the lotion on her body the part that she covered with the lotion reveal the true color of her body (basically, all body parts with the lotion on are not B&W but the rest remains as such).

I tried with two layers (1 B&W and 1 color) then put a mask on the color layer but it takes for ever and does not come out so nice.

Does anyone have an advice on how to that?

Tks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: Movement reveals colors from B&W
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:09:03 am

Did you shoot against green screen? If so you can make an alpha or luma matte and reveal it using an ink bleed or something of the like, you would still have to probable animate the position of the bleeds but it's less work than manually animating a mask.

Return to posts index

ange loron
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:56:46 am

Tks David for your fast response. No I did not shot on green screen yet but yes, that's the idea. I am right now just testing and will do the recording tomorrow on studio so I want to make sure I do everything right so it's easy on the editing.
Here you can get an idea of what I want to do:

You can see that when her finger goes by her skin the color appears (meaning that the cream reveals her skins).

The test I sent you was done in 5 minutes using mask but I don't think it's the best idea to use mask. What do you think?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Aug 6, 2014 at 2:15:22 pm

I think your basic concept is right, but there are a couple of ways to go about it.

If you're not doing a green screen, consider using the roto brush to separate the actress from the background. Then you could use a mask or trackmatte for your color layer.

One thing that I think would help sell the effect would be if the colored area was continuously growing, even if it were ever so slight. It would feel a little more alive this way.

Hope that helps.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

ange loron
on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:51:17 pm
Last Edited By ange loron on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:54:11 pm

Yeah, I fully agree with you on "continuously growing" and definitely plan to do that.
I will film her with a green screen and remove the background so that should be easier.
Track matte will probably make it but again I'll have to go frame by frame to make sure it follows her finger.
I remembered seeing someone who was using the pen tool to draw a line and something would then follow that line. Do you think this technique could make it to do what I want and if yes, any TIPs on how to do it?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:10:06 pm

I often use an open pen shape with a stroke and the trim paths animator as a track matte for revealing stuff, but I'm not sure that is the best method for you. You probably don't want to reveal straight lined edges, something more organic would be better I imagine. The paint brush tool might be the ticket.

If you were going to do it with a pen tool and use trim paths, you would probably want to overlap the line somewhat and also use an offset paths animator. This way it would continue growing.

Again, there are a lot of ways to approach this, I would just do whatever you are most comfortable with.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:24:41 pm

After seeing your short sample I don't think lumas or alphas are going to help you, you're pretty much stuck with masking and rotoscoping. Since the arm and hand are on top the face no matte will help you.

Rotoscoping is tedious but it's the best choice for what you need to accomplish, Just vary the feather and expansion as you animate the path.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]