FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ram preview lag

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Warren
Ram preview lag
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:52:25 am

I recently bought a new system hoping the problem would go away. I have a 300fps clip and I go to file> interpret footage> main and change the clips frame rate to 59.94 and sometimes it runs ok and sometimes it lags when trying to scroll through the timeline making it impossible to work with. some people were saying it was the file format. I noticed one clip is MP4 and another is AVI and the MP4 runssmoother but I dont know if this is true for all my clips thay are MP4. The tree preview settings are set to third sometimes even quarter it struggles. I know its possible to work with these clips because I see other peoples work with the same clips but doesn't work for me without serious lag. So if anyone has any advice or can point me in a direction thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Ram preview lag
on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:37:34 pm

[Austin Warren] "I recently bought a new system hoping the problem would go away. I have a 300fps clip and I go to file> interpret footage> main and change the clips frame rate to 59.94 and sometimes it runs ok and sometimes it lags when trying to scroll through the timeline making it impossible to work with. some people were saying it was the file format. I noticed one clip is MP4 and another is AVI and the MP4 runssmoother but I dont know if this is true for all my clips thay are MP4."

Your subject says "RAM preview lag" but the body here says "scroll through the timeline." When exactly are you seeing this problem?

If different file formats behave differently, then that does sound like a good place to start. What codec is being used in these files?

Also, system specs will help. What version of Ae do you have, and what are the specs of your system (OS, processors, RAM, and storage)?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]