FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardware advise AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niels Albers
hardware advise AE
on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:24:28 am

For a few years I've been using After Effects but lately I've got a lot of problems with my computer that apparently can't be solved by Adobe, Nvidia or Microsoft support. (Yes I contacted them all!)

So it's time for a new PC.

I mainly create '2,5D' worlds in AE with very large Photoshop files (up to 1,5GB, SmartObjects and over 100 layers per comp). I've also started using the new 3D ray traced function, which I really want to continue using in my work.

I get lost in the world of CPU, GPU, OpenGL and CUDA's. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580, maybe I can add another one that can work together or should I invest in a new one? I just want to get the best when I invest this time.

I read already that I have to invest in RAM, so that's what I will do. (At the moment 32GB DDR3 RAM)

I have 4 SSD HD drives that I can reuse in the new PC.

Any advise on motherboards? (I have a lot of problems with the 'asus 1155 maximus iv extreme-z (rev.3)' I have now)

Thanks a lot for any advise! I always find my answers on this forum so that's why I turn to you guys!

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: hardware advise AE
on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:12:22 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Jul 17, 2014 at 3:12:53 pm

Comps of that many layers are really going to require some CPU threads. A 6 Core at 4.4GHz would be the minimum I would suggest on a X79 board with 64GB of ram. A 10 Core 2690 V2 Xeon would be better. I would definitely suggest a 780Ti card over that 580 card. I would not bother getting another 580 at this point. I suggest starting with the Asrock Extreme 9 for boards. Just so you know Ray Tracer is Nvidia only. Stay away from AMD cards.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:19:42 pm

[Niels Albers] " I've also started using the new 3D ray traced function, which I really want to continue using in my work."

Just so you know, this feature (which was introduced a couple of versions ago, so I wouldn't call it "new") is considered a dead feature by Adobe is no longer going to be updated. It was introduced in version 11 (CS6), but in version 12 Adobe introduced a more powerful way to get 3d in AE [link]. (And now we're on version 13 of AE.)

If you're staying with CS6, great! Use the ray-traced 3d. It's a nice way to integrate 3d without buying a third-party plugin like Element 3d (although, Element 3d offers some great features as well as astoundingly fast render times). However, if you have CC or CC 2014, I would suggest you start learning the newer, more powerful C4D option.

Now, as to any other concerns you might have, this recorded event [link] has a lot of useful information for how After Effects and Premiere use system resources. It's great info for anyone building a new computer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jul 17, 2014 at 5:00:09 pm

If you use C4D then I would highly suggest you take a look at Octane for GPU acceleration.

http://render.otoy.com/

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Niels Albers
on Jul 22, 2014 at 7:50:17 am

Thanks for your input! The advice is very usefull aswell as the links.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]