FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will pre-rendering speed up THIS comp's render?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Withington
Will pre-rendering speed up THIS comp's render?
on Jul 13, 2014 at 5:21:06 pm

Everything is CS6 on Mountain Lion.

So I'm almost 16 hours into a render for a 15 second clip and it looks like it could take another 10 hours. This is using the dynamic link so it's rendering in premiere pro. I've read that pre-rendering other layers will help speed up the render time, but my other layers are very simple. Goes like this:

1. Just a mask on a take where nothing happens to keep the top of the sequence clean.

2. Rotobrushed take with force motion blur (16 samples) and one instance of Colorista II just crushing shadows.

3. Untouched copy of the above take to preserve background.

So obviously it's that second layer that's the reason the render is so long. Since the other layers are so simple, would pre-rendering them really help the speed all that much?

Return to posts index

hanna lee
Re: Will pre-rendering speed up THIS comp's render?
on Jul 13, 2014 at 7:01:05 pm

just say if you ran a preview of your video and you have green line from start to end , hitting the pre render will be quick instant thats what i use always.

Return to posts index

Ben Withington
on Jul 13, 2014 at 7:51:08 pm

If I did a RAM preview of the whole composition in AE, just the problem layer, or are you saying something else?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 14, 2014 at 1:40:34 pm

He means RAM preview the comp and just use that instead of using Dynamic Link. For my workflow, I rarely use Dynamic Link and usually just render out of AE's render queue into a lossless codec. Howe

This sounds like it's taking an inordinate amount of time to render. Double-check to make sure your comp is set to use the classic renderer and not the ray-traced renderer.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ben Withington
on Jul 14, 2014 at 10:01:13 pm
Last Edited By Ben Withington on Jul 14, 2014 at 10:01:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the renderer settings.

However, I think I've found the direct problem. The tutorial I used to learn the rotobrush failed to cover the "freeze" function. So what I've done is turn off all the other layers, effects, and frame blending except for the rotobrush effect and layer. I hit freeze and it started propagating a lot faster with lower numbers (I'm guessing the frame blending was adding that extra work). So I was applying color correction and motion blur to an unfrozen roto mask that was frame blending itself live for every frame.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 15, 2014 at 1:15:09 pm

The "freeze" function is pretty vitally important. Any good tutorial on the Roto Brush should definitely mention it!

Glad you found the issue.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]