FORUMS: list search recent posts

Map animation - first attempt at a more complex animation project.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guto Cardoso
Map animation - first attempt at a more complex animation project.
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:48:12 pm

Hi guys, this is my first time posting on this forum though I have referenced it a lot in the past.

I am struggling to figure out the steps in a current project I'm involved in.

Basically what I want is to start with a map of Brazil that will zoom in to the state of Minas Gerais from witch a smaller region will be highlighted (three overall steps), while at the same time the map's plane will be slanting back in 3d space. The resolution will be 1080p. This is the most complex project I have attempted so far.

The trouble I'm having is figuring out the best workflow for this. I have to consider that the bigger map of Brazil will have to be pretty big since it will zoom into the state of Minas Gerais which will take up most of the frame.

I wonder how you guys would tackle a project like this... I'm also trying to decide on using an oversized rasterized image or trying to vectorize it somehow...

This is the link to my psd draft for the general look I am going for and showing the state of minas gerais:

7701_referenciamapaanimado.zip

Being my first post I think my link will be blocked, any suggestions on how to make my file available?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Map animation - first attempt at a more complex animation project.
on Jul 1, 2014 at 4:13:21 pm

You might want to take a look at this project from Video CoPilot, Earth Zoom. The technique is to parent layers to layers as you zoom in closer and closer. You should be able to take his technique and adapt it to your project.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Guto Cardoso
on Jul 6, 2014 at 10:07:44 pm

Thanks! I will definately check it out.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:19:15 pm

It's better if you do all your art prior in illustrator and then send it to AE. You won't be constraint to any size/resolution.

In portuguese:

É melhor fazer tudo em vetor (Brasil, estado e região) no ilustrator como tu quer que fique o look. Depois levar pro after e usar uma só camera pra tudo. Como ta em vetor e 3d, tu não vais ter problema de resolução/escala.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Jul 2, 2014 at 3:40:56 pm

I would definitely go with a vector map. If you do a bit of searching, it's not hard to find free 3D vectors. And yes follow Andrew Kramer's tutorial, it will help you out a lot. Basically just attach your maps to a null and scale it up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]