FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Masking problem
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:36:28 pm

Hi,

I have an layer with some graphic that is wrapped around a car standing still.
The layer is bend in many directions (the corners of the layer are moved around) and when I finally feel that the graphic is perfect on the car, Im getting this masking problem.

When using the pen tool and masking out the area I want it does not work that way. Other parts of the graphic dissapear instead. I think this has to do with the way I have moved the corners of my layer or something.
I have also tried to precompose the layer to see if I could mask a selected part without experiencing the same problem, but I dont.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stig

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Masking problem
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:57:37 pm

Sorry, but you don't describe what you have actually done very well. For example: Are you working with 2D or 3D layers? Are you using any effects to bend these layers? If yes, which ones?

We can't hemp very much without good information.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:04:53 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "We can't hemp very much without good information."

Dave, have you moved to Colorado?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:47:35 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:49:30 pm

Nope. I live in Iowa. Formerly in New York.

It DOES help to proofread one's posts first, doesn't it?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:15:28 pm

3d layers and pin corner effect. Stig

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:27:38 pm

[stig olsen] "When using the pen tool and masking out the area I want it does not work that way. Other parts of the graphic dissapear instead. I think this has to do with the way I have moved the corners of my layer or something.
I have also tried to precompose the layer to see if I could mask a selected part without experiencing the same problem, but I dont."

If you are Corner Pinning a 3D layer, try pre-composing but move all attributes to the new comp. Then apply the mask.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 5:31:12 pm

Thank you Brian, I will try that. Why is it behaving this way?

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:35:32 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Jun 24, 2014 at 6:38:52 pm

[stig olsen] "Why is it behaving this way?"

After Effects defaults to performing calculations in a certain order.

Just like basic math there is an order to complex operations. In high school I was taught an acronym, BEDMAS as a mnemonic to remember the order. http://math.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/g/What-Is-Bedmas.htm

Operations in brackets are carried out first followed by the remaining operations.

After Effects behaves in a similar fashion. In general, for raster layers, Masks are calculated before Effects which are calculated before Transformations, you can use MET as an acronym to remember the order.

When layers are nested or Pre-Composed, its like placing brackets around any operations (masks, effects, transforms) for those layers, the operations are done before the next ones.

In your case the Mask is processed before the Corner Pin. Pre-Composing the layer with the Corner Pin then applying the mask to the Pre-Comp forces the Corner Pin to process before the Mask.

You might think of Pre-Composing as placing brackets around those operations.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Jun 24, 2014 at 7:18:55 pm

Perfectly clear, thank you!!! Stig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]