COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Reverse BW logo to WB, and exclude Black
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:22:36 pm

MacPro *tube
Mavericks
Adobe Creative Cloud

This has been one of those things that I come upon every once in a while and find it faster to just go back into Photoshop and export another graphic. BUT, then I don't learn anything.

Photoshop: I have a black logo on a white background. I can reverse the BW using "Adjustments/Invert", and then remove the 'now black' bg using a blend mode, leaving only the 'now white' logo.

AE: I would like to be able to do this same process, but inside of AE. Am I able to use any combination of blend modes, track mattes, etc. to achieve this same effect?

Ian Smith

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Reverse BW logo to WB, and exclude Black
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:35:19 pm

Most of the time, I use a Luma Key effect, set it to Key Out Brighter and set the threshold to 254.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:44:41 pm

You can also use Effect>Channel>Invert and then the blending mode, either screen or multiply, depending on which color you want to key out.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 23, 2014 at 3:43:14 pm

After inverting the logo you can use the free UnMult effect available from Red Giant or use these 2 effects Channel Combiner from Max RGB to Alpha and then Remove Color Matting.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:54:57 pm

all of those will work... i usually go brian's route, it usually produces the best result. note that you don't need the invert effect, you can enable invert in the channel combiner settings, but then the remove color matting color will need to be set to white.

you can save that effect combination as a preset (select effects, then animation>save animation preset) then you can easily recall it when needed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 23, 2014 at 6:17:28 pm

@ Kevin, I think I learned this method from you. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:16:00 pm

All of these responses were helpful! Thank you all!

Solution:
Ended up only needing Effect "Channel Combiner" - applied setting "HLS to RGB", and "Invert".
On the Logo layer I added blend mode "Screen".

Ending result:
I'm using the white logo graphic as a background image (30% opacity) on a lower third title bar. The layer is now also being masked by a shape layer, via track-matte "Alpha" to keep Logo inside Lower Third title bar. Now I can animate the background Logo, while only appearing inside my Lower Third title bar.

Thanks All!

Ian Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]