FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to enable a linear workspace in Premiere Pro CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt MacDonald
How to enable a linear workspace in Premiere Pro CS6
on Jun 22, 2014 at 2:11:41 am

So here's what I did. I put together my sequence in Premiere, then I right clicked the clips I wanted to edit and selected "Replace with After Effects composition". In After Effects, I set my color space to 16 bit, sRGB, linear. I continued to color grade and add effects to my liking. When I went back into premiere, all the clips I ran through After Effects were dark and unusable. How do I enable a linear workspace in Premiere Pro CS6?

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
Re: How to enable a linear workspace in Premiere Pro CS6
on Jun 22, 2014 at 4:45:10 am

Premiere Pro does not support color management in the way that After Effects does. Via Dynamic Link, the linearized values in your After Effects comp are not corrected for screen display in Premiere Pro.

To get the results you want, add an adjustment layer to the top of the layer stack in the comp and apply the Color Profile Converter effect. Set the Output Profile to Rec.709 (sRGB is practically identical and will also work, but Dynamic Link uses Rec.709 internally so is a better match). This forces After Effects to transform the linearized pixels into a non-linearized color space that looks correct.

Note that while the CPC effect is active and View > Display Color Management is enabled (it is enabled by default), this extra layer of color transforms will make the comp appear incorrect in After Effects, at the same time the comp will now look correct in Premiere Pro. Disable Display Color Management to make the appearance of the comp in After Effects match what you see in Premiere Pro. While working on the comp, however, you probably want to work with Display Color Management enabled and the adjustment layer disabled.

Under the hood, when color management is enabled in After Effects, the pixels it writes into the cache include the appropriate color transforms for the settings you have chosen. When the comp is displayed in the Composition panel in After Effects, an additional transform is added to the screen buffer pixels (not the pixels in the cache) to make it look correct on your computer screen, or not if you have disabled Display Color Management. When the pixels are read through Dynamic Link, no display color management happens, nor does Premiere Pro apply any, so you get the same appearance as having Display Color Management disabled in After Effects.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Matt MacDonald
on Jun 22, 2014 at 4:37:03 pm

Oh my god! Thank you so much. This fixes all my problems. You are the best person who has ever helped me on a forum. Thnaks man!

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Jun 22, 2014 at 5:38:13 pm

Glad to hear that works for you.

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on Dec 18, 2015 at 9:16:36 pm

Hey Tim,

I'm having a similar problem. I am working on a video game and we are capturing media in ProRES HQ (and some ProRes 422 LT). They are being captured by a Black Magic Decklink Intensity Pro through an HDMI to SDI conversion.

When I send clips to AE from a Premiere Pro sequence (latest CC updates on a Mac OS 10.9.5 12 core) the proxy file in Premiere gets shifted, mostly in the reds. Skin tone goes a little pink and orangey reds get much more red. I've applied the Color Profile Converter as you suggest and enabled the Rec 709 profile but my image still doesn't match the original when I view it in Premiere.

I have tested with other footage captured from a KiPro and the colour shift does not happen so it must be some colour thing applied on the import through the the Black Magic. I've messed about with a few settings in the Color Profile Converter and I can't figure it out. I'd love to post some of the footage but due to NDAs I can't. Was hoping you might have some kind of insight into this particular issue. Bit stumped at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]