FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I edit clips from a pproj dynamically linked to ae back in pr?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rex Polanis
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:33:21 pm

I created a project in Pr CC and edited about 40 clips with three way color correcter, warp stabilize, and synced to audio. Next, I needed to add animated text over a majority of the clips, so I dynamically linked the project to Ae via, the "edit project in Ae" option from Pr.

Once in Ae, I added my animated text over several clips and saved. Now, when I go back to work in Pr I can't seem to work with any of the Pr effects I added to my clips because instead of individual clips in the track view, I see one long dynamically linked clip?

Is there a way to change some of the effects I added to my clips in premiere pro? Thank you.

One man with courage makes a majority.

Canon 7D
Adobe CC Master Suite
Digital Juice
Video Copilot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I edit clips from a pproj dynamically linked to ae back in pr?
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:58:53 pm

Frankly, that's a lot to ask of dynamic link, considering that some of the things you did in Premiere won't work in AE. And that color correction & grading is the FINAL step in a video workflow.

I'd be tempted to export the work you've done as one big clip, import into AE, make the animated text, and render the animated text out without the video, importing it into Premiere.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rex Polanis
on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:05:05 pm

Thanks Dave. I tried rending out just the animated text from Ae but for some reason it's not in sync. I don't know why. I may just try rendering my video out from Pr, and adding it to Ae and doing the titles there as a last step as you mentioned. The reason I can't do a overall color grade yet is that I am working with several different clips from multiple shoots that need individual tweeks.

Canon 7D
Adobe CC Master Suite
Digital Juice
Video Copilot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:16:12 pm

Color grading is a two-step process.

First comes Color Correction: You get all the clips looking the same. Next comes color grading, when you establish the final color look of EVERYTHING.

And as for timing issues, there may be a frame rate mismatch: you shot 24p, and you cut in a 29.97 Premiere timeline -- it's not devastating if you stay in premiere, but it's not wise for workflows to different applications like AE.

Then there's also the fact that a DSLR's H.264 video may be just fine in Premiere, but it isn't AE's favorite video codec. It can really mess up anything that you try to do in time: slow it down, posterize it, stretch it. It can also mess up stabilization where AE has to look backward & forwards in time to stabilize the current frame.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rex Polanis
on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:11:52 pm

Dave, Thank you for your replies and help. I came up with a work around. When I originally linked from Pr to Ae, I decieded to change a few clips in Ae, but after the clip changes I realized those new clips needed some three way color correction. So what I did to solve my issue was: In Ae, I exported my project to Pre Pro; this allowed me to see all my individual clips again and let me make some touch ups to my clip colors. After I fixed my colors and applied a Lumetri look to my overall video, I went back to Ae, turned off all the video clips (but left the text animations on) saved it and than dragged the project from Ae to Pr and whoala! I can see and edit my individual clips now and still edit just the text in Ae.

Canon 7D
Adobe CC Master Suite
Digital Juice
Video Copilot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:46:58 pm

Glad you got the timing issues sorted out! But I have to tell you: doing it that way is risky business. Dynamic Link is pretty much a one-way street.

i.e. you open the PP project in AE, do your AE voodo... then render fo use in PP.

Or you export video from PP, import it into AE, do your AE voodoo, then open the AE project in PP.

So in this case, consider yourself lucy that it worked... but I wouldn't count on it working all the time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]