FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask not fully filling in problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lecter
Mask not fully filling in problem
on May 15, 2014 at 10:34:51 pm

I created a mask for a standard lightsaber effect. I spent the time adjusting the points of the mask as the lightsaber moved around the screen. For speed, I didn't have it filled in as I performed the task. Upon finishing and playing the movie, all looks good until about half-way through the mask doesn't fill in. See attached image.

What have I done and can I fix? Moving the mask or adjusting the vertices affects every previous frame requiring me to adjust the points of the mask again starting at frame 1 (arrgggh!). All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance. (AE CS6 on Win7)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Mask not fully filling in problem
on May 16, 2014 at 4:14:00 am

It looks like your mask goes beyond the edge of the layer it's applied to.

If that's the case then there are a couple of possible solutions. One is to use the pan behind tool to move the layer without changing the position of the mask. The other is to apply a fill effect and set the fill mask property to the mask in question (or check all masks if that works for your purpose).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Alan Lecter
on May 16, 2014 at 7:58:21 am

Darby - thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out which solution is easier.
Earlier, in the keyframing process, the lightsaber extended offscreen and I extended the mask offscreen according. See image. Is this a newbie mistake? Should I only mask to edge of screen to prevent this from occuring.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 17, 2014 at 3:35:43 am

Masking outside of the frame is no problem.

It's not uncommon to move masks outside of the composition boundaries when they are no longer needed.

I think your issue is only related to the size or position of the layer that you are masking. You want the layer to fill the composition.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]