FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why & when I shall use Surface Tab in Mocha for After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suny Basu
Why & when I shall use Surface Tab in Mocha for After Effects
on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:50:30 am

Hi,
Why & when I shall use Surface Tab after using X-Spline Tool for tracking a particular zone of a clip in
Mocha for After Effects ?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Why & when I shall use Surface Tab in Mocha for After Effects
on Apr 29, 2014 at 9:57:36 am

mocha uses its tracking splines to define planar areas for tracking. The Planar Surface is used to define transform related tracking data and corner-pin points for export to other applications. There have been lots of questions on mocha here (use the Search feature).

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Suny Basu
on May 1, 2014 at 8:50:45 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:17:40 pm

Basically, the X-Spline is used to denote the area that you want tracked, the surface tool is the area you intend to replace/effect. The two do NOT have to be the same. In one recent job, I had to replace a green screen monitor which was constantly being crossed or hidden from view by other elements in the scene. There was no time in which the entire monitor was viewable, and most of the time only about 33% was viewable. However, there WAS a desktop computer box that was ALWAYS in view. It was on a perpendicular plane to the monitor, but stayed in relation to the monitor during the camera movement. I used the X-Spline tool to track the desktop case, and after I had a good track on that, I created a planar surface for the monitor in the one instance that I could see all four corners. Sure enough, Mocha was able to keep my plane (for the monitor) by using the tracking data from the desktop box.
After exporting the corner pin data for the surface, applying it to a lower layer in AE and keying out the green, I had an image that was convincingly stuck on (under) the monitor, even as people crossed, etc.

I guess this is a long way to say that the X-Spline deals with the tracking data, and the Surface tool deals with the area you want to effect.

Lots of great resources here:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos?tagFilter=%25tutorial&sortBy=Newest

I am by no means a master, and I am only starting to harness Mocha, but I can already tell it is way better for this type of work than AE's motion tracker.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Suny Basu
on May 1, 2014 at 8:56:07 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot for this tutorial.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]