FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner: Extend template duration of video clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Farhan Ali
Beginner: Extend template duration of video clip
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:26:11 pm

Hello everyone hope you're doing well. For the past few days I have been trying out Adobe After Effects and have been using templates. I won't mention any websites here as it;s against the rules. So here's the situation I'm in.

I've got a template from a website that is 30 seconds long. Within the template I have numerous place holders for photos/videos. Some place holders are able to store longer videos/photos than others.

Is it possible to increase the duration of the place holders?

I really need help and would appreciate any support.

Thank-you

Return to posts index

James Huenergardt
Re: Beginner: Extend template duration of video clip
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:48:33 pm

Yes, you can extend them, you just need to figure out where they 'live' in the project and then go and edit the length of the COMP.

To do that, you need to bring up the comp you want to extend, then go into Comp Settings and change the length to what you want it to be.

Be aware however, that the template is already based on specific length COMPS and you may have a bit of modifying/editing to do to get it all to work properly.

Some of these templates are several layers deep, so it can be difficult to navigate, especially if you're not too familiar with After Effects and how it all works.

Hope this helps.

Reel Inspirations - http://www.reelinspirations.com
Commercials, Dramas, Image Pieces, Documentaries, Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:55:51 pm

Yes, you can generally change the settings(unless there is some pre-rendered animation) by just pressing "cntl+k" to open the composition dialogue. Then just change the duration to what you need.

The general problem that arises, these templates generally have comps with precomps and more precomps, so you need to adjust the duration length of every instance. Then you need to adjust keyframes, you will probably have to move layers around to accommodate the new durations and so-on and so-on.

Another method, is to take the final comp, drop it on the "make new comp" button, and use time-remapping to shorten and lengthen the compositions duration. This might work, but it can also cause different problems. Like certain animations are going too fast/too slow.

Again it's possible, just takes a decent understanding of AE and Comp hierarchy.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:32:53 pm

Hello James Huenergardt & John Cuevas thank you both for your response.
Before I created the thread I actually changed the COMP duration (double) and to be honest you guy's are correct there's many layers within the template. So when I change the length of "one" COMP the rest need altering or else the video clip won't flow. Damn soo much hassle and trouble for a beginner lols.

Any recommendation on where I should start or do you think it would be a good idea just to leave the template to its default settings?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:04:02 am

If you're just beginning to use after effects, I recommend the Andrew Devis series of tutorials right here on the Creative Cow. I think you'll leasrn a lot more with them than you would from trying to figure out the logic of a template.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:42:44 am

As far as where to get started, besides Dave's suggestions(which will is also included in this link), check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Also, without seeing the template, it's hard to tell you where to start, if you want to post the .aep project here, I'll take a look at it and see if I can give you some suggestions on how/where to make changes, but we've basically told you how to do that. Mostly, it's just a matter of digging all the way into each comp/precomp structure make the change, make adjustments, move to the next one. Depending on the template though it can get real complicated, really quickly.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:25:15 pm

Hey everyone thanks for you're support it's greatly appreciated.
So after countless hours I finally managed to extend the template. I'm able to extend to it as long as I wish but I've realised the quality reduces for some strange reason.

On another note, when it comes to rendering the template file, what format would you guy's recommend?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 23, 2014 at 5:00:04 pm

I don't understand how quality could have gone down, but without seeing the project or how you did it, it's going to be hard to tell.

You really need to go through the getting started resources that folks have shared.

[Farhan Ali] "On another note, when it comes to rendering the template file, what format would you guy's recommend?"

That depends entirely on what you are planning to do with your final video.

I usually render into a proper intermediate codec (DNxHD, Cineform, QuickTime with the PNG codec, QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec, etc.) and then bring that into Adobe Media Encoder to make my final deliverable. If you're planning to upload to YouTube, the Adobe Media Encoder even has presets designed specifically for it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on May 11, 2014 at 3:09:34 pm

Hey, for the past few days I've been testing out Render Settings.
I have rendered the same project files twice. One of which has higher bitrate does that mean that video will be better quality?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 12, 2014 at 4:02:17 pm

Generally, yes. It dpends on the codec to which you rendered. But since we don't know what you need to deliver, we can't give any advice on whether the higher bit rate is appropriate.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Farhan Ali
on May 12, 2014 at 5:20:06 pm

I'm trying to render 1080p files. The original file was downloaded from YouTube @ 1080p and was rendered using Adobe Media Encoder on Preset 1080p 30 fps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]