FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM Preview is deleting previously rendered frames every time I start it.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Small
RAM Preview is deleting previously rendered frames every time I start it.
on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:04:41 pm
Last Edited By Tom Small on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:58:24 pm

I'm not sure why, but when I hit the 0 key to ram preview an area that I just ram previewed (I need to hear the audio and see the video) it seems to delete the previously cached frames that were green and start over every time. I remember older versions of AE reusing already rendered frames. I've looked through all my settings and searched the web... I"m on the latest version of CC with a really decked out 2010 Mac pro, and I'm using Multi-processing.

any thoughts?
Thanks
Tom

Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RAM Preview is deleting previously rendered frames every time I start it.
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:06:19 pm

I'll guess you're previewing the work area you've set, right?

Does it happen if you do the RAM Prevew, stop it, and immediately do a RAM Preview again without doing anything else?

Or are you previewing, making a tweak, and previewing again? If that's when it happens, it would depend on the nature of the layer you're tweaking... like a nested comp.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33:02 pm
Last Edited By Tom Small on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33:39 pm

It does it whether I chose "from current time" or just the work area. It happens when i don't change anything at all; I can ram preview 2x in a row and it'll start over each time - that's what's baffling. All my dark and light green, previously-rendered frames in the timeline disappear the moment I hit 0, then they come back after the ram preview is done... new green frames are not added from the ram preview though. you'd think they would be stored in RAM or even on my cache disk, which is an SSD.

Thanks for looking into this with me.
Tom

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:51:27 pm

Also, every time I hit 0, it shows "locking existing frames" and then "mixing audio for preview" - then it starts rendering at frame 1 or 2. Maybe that'll be a clue.
Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:14:23 am

Hmmmm.... are you using compressed audio -- mp3, ac3 --in the comp?

And what happens when you turn off multiprocessing? And how much memory do have on your machine?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:12:53 am
Last Edited By Tom Small on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:14:21 am

The audio is baked into h.264 files I received. I'm guessing this was shot on an EX-1, so not sure exactly the audio specs on that.

When I turn of MP, ACTUALLY I just tried it again and it does keep the frames. Definitely a clue! Does MultiProcessing normally act like this?

I have 96GB RAM, 12-core 3.46 xeon, GTX 780 3gb GPU.

Thanks

Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:33:33 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:46:05 pm

AE will behave like this when you apply certain effects or features that DO NOT use multiprocessing. There are a few and I'm sorry, but I don't have a list.

And although it works, H.264 isn't a great choice for use in AE. There are two reasons:
H.264 can contain AC3 audio, which is compressed, and AE doesn't like compressed audio.
Because of the way H.264 video is compressed, AE will really slow down when you apply an effect or feature that modifies time in any way: it has to look backward and forward in time just to do work on the current frame, which is a big time-waster.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:23:18 pm

Thanks for the info. That makes sense... I'm not using many effects yet until I've got the animation all built, just key light so far.
Yes I'm not sure why they sent me H.264 to work with- I would never choose that codec myself for AE...

Good to know. Thanks again!
Tom

Tom

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:43:55 pm

Show a screenshot of your Memory & Multiprocessing settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:43:22 pm

Thanks for the response Todd. I don't know of any other multiprocessing choices in Premiere?
I seem to have gotten the project working by doing several things, many of which I found on this site.

deleted all cache/preview files.
reset Premiere preferences.
I pulled the files I don't need for premiere out of user/library/quicktime/
this seemed to fix the qt32 server that I kept seeing not responding in my Activity Monitor.
I switched premiere from cuda to openCL since one time I had an error message about cuda (out of about 50 crashes).

I re-exported the problem last 6 minutes of the show out of FCP7 and reimported that XML into premiere.
repaired disk permissions on Mac HD.
restarted and booted premiere, which rebuilt all conform and pek files.

Seems to be working ok now. sometimes it lags when i jump around in the timeline and scares me, but seems to work eventually.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. I reverted back to Premiere 7.2.1 as well, and actually have the desktop creative cloud app uninstalled at the moment since I thought that might be the problem. So who knows what the problem actually was. i spent about 10 hours working on this problem trying ever configuration and step i could find/think of.

thanks
Tom

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:51:12 pm

One other note, I have a GTX 780 video card, and I updated the nvidia driver yesterday right after I got the one cuda error message, to see if it helped. so it's the latest cuda driver.

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:36:55 am

Ok it just crashed again. i've worked through that area once or twice successfully, but not tonight. crashed twice. the second time I got a new error message: [/ppro721/releases/2013.10/shared/adobe/MediaCore/AudioRenderer/Make/Mac/../../Src/AudioRender/AudioRenderContextConstructor.cpp-110]

any thoughts?

i just uninstalled the x264pro codec trial today. I don't know if that has had anything to do with it but it should be gone now and the problem remains...

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Small
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:41:38 am

Just got another new crash message:

[../../../ASL/Foundation/API/Inc/ASLSharedObject.h-299]

What gives?!?

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]