FORUMS: list search recent posts

Production Bundle vs. Standard

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Rice
Production Bundle vs. Standard
on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:25:44 pm

Is the Production bundle merely a collection of plugins or how does it differ from the standard version in other ways?

Can I use an older version of the Production Bundle plugins with a more recent standard version?

Gary

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Production Bundle vs. Standard
on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:54:05 pm

There has not been a Production Bundle for more than a decade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Gary Rice
on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:32:46 pm

Hmmm. My friend using CS6 says some of the effects/features described in her docs don't exist.

Did the Production Bundle get renamed? Are there STILL 2 products (in CS6 time)?

Regardless, when the Production Bundle existed, was it a collection of extensions (presets, effects, etc.) or did the main app have additional features as well?

Gary

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:52:03 pm

No, there has only been one edition of After Effects for a very long time.

What exact effects and features is your friend referring to?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Gary Rice
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:36:25 pm

My friend (as it turns out) had VERY recently moved from CS3 to CS6 and was unfamiliar with the UI changes that were made between the 2 versions.

She DID find the "missing" items - just in a different location.

Gary

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 21, 2014 at 11:43:08 pm

The Production Bundle was, and I stress was, a collection of Adobe's software products which were geared toward media and television production - I hold in my hands right now the CS4 Production Premium collection, which was Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Flash, Soundbooth, OnLocation, Encore, Device Central, Bridge, and Dynamic Link. No collection or set of plugins, just a packaged offering of Adobe Software geared toward "production" - hence the name.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:06:10 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "The Production Bundle was, and I stress was, a collection of Adobe's software products which were geared toward media and television production - I hold in my hands right now the CS4 Production Premium collection, which was Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Flash, Soundbooth, OnLocation, Encore, Device Central, Bridge, and Dynamic Link. No collection or set of plugins, just a packaged offering of Adobe Software geared toward "production" - hence the name."

This might actually be the source of confusion here. As Joe notes, there used to be a video-centric bundle of Adobe apps called "Production Premium." Production Premium (or Master Collection) was required for Dynamic Link to work between After Effects and Premiere Pro.

But as Todd notes, After Effects used to be sold in two editions: the Standard edition, and the Production Bundle (later Professional) edition. After Effects v5.5 was the last to be have separate Standard and Production Bundle editions. That's not the recent AE CS5.5, which was AE version 10.5, but rather After Effects version 5.5 from the turn of the century.

After Effects version 7 was the last to have separate Standard and Professional editions. Starting with After Effects CS3 (v8), the cheaper standard version with fewer features was dropped.

My memory is a little fuzzy on all the details, but Production Bundle/Professional editions used to include straight effects (Vector Paint, Invigorator, Fractal Noise (!), maybe Optics Compensation and Keylight?) as well as features (motion tracker, 16bpc, network render). I don't believe animation presets existed until sometime after Production Bundle was renamed.

To try to directly address the original question, AE CS5 was a major release -- the architecture changed and After Effects became a 64-bit only application. No plugins from previous versions can work in CS5 and later, and no CS5-CC plugins can work in CS4 or earlier.

Any recent version of Ae (CS3 or later) has everything that the ancient Production Bundle ever had -- except those old parallel or ADB dongles and, starting with 64-bit CS5, the Vector Paint UI.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 23, 2014 at 4:19:31 pm

I was able to find a review, which has a pretty good description of the Standard and Professional versions of After Effects 7.0:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/12771-adobe-after-effects-70-professional...

If I remember correctly (Version 7 was where we standardized on AE, going away from Combustion), there was a difference in the keyer offerings, and a few others (mentioned in passing in the article), which made it a no-brainer to choose the Pro version, if I remember correctly.

Of course all this stuff falls into a "dustbin of history" category, since you can't purchase it anymore, and who would want to, with the huge advances in subsequent revisions? Probably only Walter, Todd Kopriva, and myself (and maybe Dave Laronde) would care a fig about this...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Rice
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:38:40 pm

Thanks for an EXCELLENT description of the Standard vs. Production Bundle differences and timeline. That was JUST what I was looking for.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]