FORUMS: list search recent posts

tracking and replacing in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy Messinger
tracking and replacing in AE
on Feb 10, 2014 at 2:17:56 pm

Hi all,
I'm wondering if there's a way to use the tracking method in AE or Mocha (or any other tool) to replace a moving object in a video.

For example, a woman walking on the street with her dress flapping in the wind: I want to replace this dress with a different dress.
Is this doable?
Thx.

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: tracking and replacing in AE
on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:07:41 pm

First impression: that would be very difficult. Lots of factors to consider here though. Do objects or people move in front of her? Is the camera moving? do you have a background plate? Do things move behind her?

Biggest question: is this actually the project you are doing, or are you just using the flapping dress as an example of something else you are trying to do? If so, our answers may not apply.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2014 at 6:12:56 pm

You might be able to animate an accurate hole where the dress was, but after that it gets absurdly tough in AE:
  • The fabric of the replacement dress moves & wrinkles as the subject moves
  • It has to move & wrinkle in a manner consistent with the type of fabic selected: burlap moves differently than satin, and satin moves differently than cotton
  • The folds & wrinkles have to precisely follow the motions of the subject
  • The lighting on the replacement dress has to be consistent with the lighting of the original shot
  • The refectivity of the dress itself has to match the fabric chosen: think about the differences among satin, burlap & cotton
  • The motions of the replacement dress won't precisely match those of the original dress: thus, new background will have to be created to fill the gaps

This isn't a job for AE. This isn't a job where one blithely says, "We'll fix it in post". This is an effects shot where planning and proper software selection is of the utmost importance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roy Messinger
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:17:03 pm

thank you guys so much for the answer. Actually the project is a _bit_ more simple. I need to replace the moving "hole" of the dress with a fixed image. so what I really would like to have, is in each frame, a set of points that represent a line that represents the borders of the dress

i wanted to do it using Mocha. I saw that mocha can export the tracked object as a rectangle (I think). But if it does so, it must know the borders as well. So maybe the question, in retrospect, is how to export the dress borders using Mocha. (and then, how to consume it using AE)
If not possible, maybe some other product that can help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:55:09 pm

You can give AE's Rotobrush a shot, too. Just don't try to use it intuitively: you'll fail. In AE Help there are good Rotobrush learning resources.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:58:50 pm

It sounds like you want both the tracked data from mocha AE and the animated mask for the dress shape.

You can export both 2D tracking and masks out of mocha AE and paste to AE layers. The tracking will be flat 2.5D, corner pin so if you want distortions to match fabric, you could look into FreeForm or other warping options. Also mocha Pro adds a mesh warper to bend and distort inserts.

I would suggest watching some mocha tutorials and you can also email mocha support if you wanted specific instructions.

support: http://www.imagineersystems.com/contact_form

videos for mocha AE masking tips: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos?tagFilter=masking&sortBy=Newest

cheers,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]