So I took the plunge and ordered a new 2013 Mac Pro. It will be here in Feb. I'm now looking to upgrade my storage drives, both internal and external and would like to hear others comment about their setups and advice on the subject.
Currently I have a 2009 Mac Pro 8 core with 24GB of Ram. I have:
- 1 Crucial M4 512GB SSD drive for OSX and applications.
- 2 internal 1TB 7200RPM drives for project related media and rendering.
- 1 internal 2TB After Effects cache disk. Also use this in Premiere as a cache disk. Sometimes I use this for temporary project related files. Shoots that are massive in file size etc.
- 1 External 3TB FireWire OWC RAID for backing everything up as well as a personal photography backup.
Here's what I'm thinking about on the new Mac Pro:
- 512GB SSD installed as my OSX boot drive and will use it for project media/footage etc.
- 1 Ext SSD Thunderbolt drive for After Effects and Premiere cache drive. Thinking about the Helios from OWC with their PCIe SSD setup which would give me two esata ports to hookup my 3TB backup drive I listed above (my current setup).
- 1 Newertech Voyager USB 3 dock for archiving old projects and gaining access to all if my old SATA drives that are currently in my Mac Pro 2009 model.
My biggest concern is having at least two copies of all projects within the last year or so, and a fast setup for After Effects.
What are you guys planning on for the new Mac Pro? Do you see any issues with my workflow and/or storage ideas above?