FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output Module error in AE only. Codecs gone.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chandra hope
Output Module error in AE only. Codecs gone.
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:02:28 pm

Hi there,

So I when I go to render out of the render Que (and media encoder) Under the OUTPUT MODULE I get the error:

"One of the ouput modules could not be imported. It has rest to use the default settings for the select file format"

When I try to export as a QT Pro res or H264 none of the codecs are listed as options. When using Dynamic link between Premier and AE I cant' get a clean render or export out of Premier, video is all jittery. I can export fine out of Premier if not using After effects. After effects is the main problem. This is the first time I have experienced this, I am on a deadline and am not sure how to proceed as the software is virtually useless until I can get this solved.

I read this article and followed instructions. But didn't work.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

I checked through these forums and found no one answered this exact question. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else could cause this? I also un-installed Adobe AE CC and then re-installed it, this did not help either. Ive fixed permissions using Disk Utility, Ive deleted my preferences in AE upon opening (holding down command, option, shift while starting up). I made sure to update QT codecs (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396)

I am out of ideas.

Here is the error message:

These are the only codecs I have access too when I try to render, No pro res, h264 etc. options:

I get this message when I open AE, could this be a problem?

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Output Module error in AE only. Codecs gone.
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:07:15 pm

Thanks for the Screen Shots, but taking your questions into account, they're not that helpful. To give us a fighting chance at answering them, consider answering the litany of questions you'll find here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743?tstart=0

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:39:05 pm

Lol, good point, I suppose more info would help :)

I installed the current version of After Effects CC, as mentioned I actually uninstalled it then re-installed. I use the entire CC suite. I am always up to date on that software.

I am using a Macbook Pro:
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

No third party hardware.

I have quicktime player 10.1
Looks like I also have quicktime Pro 7.6.6 installed in my applications / utillities folder.

I don't believe I am using Open GL on my laptop, I get this box everytime I open AE:

The issue I am having happens no matter what media I use. I have opened a new project and created a solid and tried exporting that and I still get the output module error shown in the previous post. Somehow AE lost connection to the codecs and I am not sure why. I have not done anything different that I can think of.

Let me know if I can provide any more information that can help with this.

Thanks!

~C

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:18:07 pm

Also, This is only happening in Adobe AE CC, everything works just fine in AE CS 6 and in all versions of Premier etc.

I already did many hours of work in After effects CC, but I will try converting the project to CS 6 tonight to see if that will work. I am sad I can't get AE CC to work properly on my computer. I have no idea how to even try and solve this. I have done every logical thing I can think of.

If anyone has any new ideas please let me know, thanks!

~C

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:52:31 pm

There are those who know much more than I do about the AE CC version, but.....

I understand there's a setting allowing you to render in older codecs. I can't remember where it's located, however. I seem to recall they word it something like "enable companded codecs" or something like that.

Is the QT v.10 new on your machine? It's awful. Stick with the latest version of QT7: there are far fewer problems.

I hope you're not in the middle of a project. A wiser person than I said that you NEVER alter your software in the middle of a big project. I chose to ignore him. I found out the hard way he was right.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 9, 2014 at 12:15:43 am

Thanks for the thoughts. I havn't found what you are talking about yet, but ill look again tonight.

I am really disappointed in CC. All my older versions work just fine, I have not changed my QT at all. It's only CC that is messed up.
I have been using AE since 1998, I've never had a problem like this before. I would never change anything software wise in the middle of a project, but looks like I'm going to have to attempt to go back a generation in software and hope it runs smooth. I had no idea anything was wrong until I tried to render it out. I already have many hours of work into the project. I have a hard deadline to meet. Im about to uninstall all my CC products and cancel my subscription and go back to CS 6, I am beyond frustrated with this. I am usually quite savy at problem solving and this has me stumped because I did not do anything significant or any changes in anything. It just doesn't work.

Thanks for the help and suggestions and I am of course open to any more suggestions! If by some miracle I fix the issue I will post!

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:01:11 am

Hi Chandra,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with After Effects CC.

There are some specific questions I would like you to answer so I can understand the problem better.

- How many hard drives and/or partitions are you running? How big are they, and how much free space do you have on each?
- What specific version of After Effects are you running? Go to After Effects > About. The number will be something like 12.x.x.xx.
- What specific version of Premiere Pro are you running? Go to Premiere Pro > About. The number will be something like 7.x.x.xx.
- What specific version of Adobe Media Encoder are you running? Go to Adobe Media Encoder> About. The number will be something like 7.x.x.xx.
- Open Activity Monitor. Close all Adobe applications, wait a minute, then launch only After Effects CC. While it launches, look for two specific additional processes to appear: Adobe QT32 Server and dynamiclinkmanager. Do they start? Do they stay running?
- Please grab and post a screenshot of Activity Monitor at this point.
- Can you render an After Effects comp via AME, to any format or codec?
- Can you render any comp or Premiere sequence from AME to a QuickTime file, with any of the available codecs?
- In Premiere Pro, do you get the full list of QuickTime codecs that you are expecting? Please post a screenshot.
- In AME, do you get the full list of QuickTime codecs that you are expecting? Please post a screenshot.
- Please grab and post a screenshot of your /Library/QuickTime folder.

Here's what I think from what you've told us so far: it appears that DynamicLinkManager is failing to act as the communication bridge between After Effects and QT32 Server. It's possible that QT32 Server may be failing entirely (which is a problem we've seen with After Effects CC, hence the blog post you referenced in your OP). The list of codecs you are seeing are the ones that After Effects/Premiere Pro/AME can render natively, without the assistance of QT32 Server.

If DynamicLinkManager is having problems, that may also explain why the link between After Effects and Premiere Pro is jittery.

So I need your help to fill in the gaps, with the questions above. In other words I want to know:
- What exact versions of the applications are you using?
- Are DynamicLinkManager and QT32 Server loading and staying resident while After Effects is running?
- Are those processes functional? (Rendering a comp via AME, and rendering any QuickTime file will tell us this.)
- What QuickTime components do you have on your system? (Some codecs have caused other problems.)

If you want to try a little bit of troubleshooting, go to your /Library/QuickTime folder and pull out ALL of the component files. Put them on the desktop, re-launch AE and try again. You obviously won't get ProRes or any of the other component-dependent codecs, but you should get Animation and H.64 and PNG, and all of the others.

If that helps, then something in your component set is upsetting After Effects CC. Put them back one-by-one and test after every one (re-launch After Effects each time). Mind that there could be more than one culprit, so keep testing one-by-one even if you isolate the problem.

If that doesn't help, maybe your answers to my questions will point us in the right direction.

-=Tim Kurkoski
-=After Effects Quality Engineering

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:07:18 am

Tim, my friend. May I call you friend? Because I plan to name my first born after you so we should be friends hahaha.

Well it worked! Last night I pulled out the DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component file per the instructions. Honestly I did not realize what exactly I was doing and why. Doing that did nothing as that was the not the bad file. When I read what you replied in this post it all made sense. I did as you instructed and pulled out all the components and found only one culprit.

Do you know what this is for? If it is corrupt is there a way to replace it or do I even need it?

I put everything but that corrupted file back into my QT folder in the library and it looks like this now:

This is now how my codec list looks:

I am beyond happy about this solution! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to write out a simple explanation and making it understandable to me. I do hope this thread will help others!

I am curious as to why this is only affecting AE CC and nothing else? Is there a fix in the works? I will say what I have absolutely loved about adobe cloud is always having updates to my software. I constantly check weekly for updates. I was honestly concerned that the update a few weeks ago I did is what caused this issue. I have been using AE CC up until this last week just fine with no problems, so I am unsure why it suddenly had this QT corruption issue. Is there anything I can watch for to prevent corruption again in the future?

I am not at home using the actual project file yet, I just did a test using a solid, but I have high hopes that it will work. If for some reason it does not I shall post again after re-testing all the components.

Thanks so much and have a great great night!

~C

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Jan 9, 2014 at 7:18:35 pm

Chandra, I will be happy to be your friend. If you're ever in Seattle, stop by the office and I'll show you around.

I'm glad the solution worked for you. I feel a little sheepish having asked that laundry list of questions when the solution was relatively simple. In my defense, your problem presented itself differently than we've seen before, so I wanted to cover all of the relevant details.

We believe the reason why After Effects CC is being affected by additional QuickTime components is because of its Video Preview functionality (preview your comp to an external monitor via AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, etc.). This feature relies on a very old QuickTime subsystem that Apple no longer supports. QT32 Server seems to be failing in this video preview code when the QuickTime components are loaded. But this doesn't happen consistently; often it loads without issue. The confusing part for us is that in all cases where we see this problem, After Effects CS6 works fine on the same computer, yet the code involved _has not changed_ between versions.

We're currently in the process of solving this by removing the old, unsupported QuickTime video preview code and replacing it with Mercury Transmit components from Premiere Pro. This will also have some ancillary benefits, which I won't detail here. Suffice to say we're very happy with our progress so far and if all goes well it will be released later this year.

Let us know if you encounter any further problems. Sorry about the hiccup.

Return to posts index

Duca Simone Luchini
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:08:40 am

I've the same problem. I appears again, again, again.... No solutions actually?
(Mac osx Mavericks)

Return to posts index

Tim Kurkoski
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:33:55 pm

Duca, troubleshoot the QuickTime component files. Otherwise, please see my earlier set of questions posed to Chandra.

You should give specific detail about the problem you are experiencing, rather than a "me too", so the community can help diagnose your problem rather than making assumptions. I also recommend starting a new thread with those details, rather than adding to this closed, two-month old thread.

Return to posts index

Jacob Churruca
on Sep 22, 2014 at 3:39:31 am

Got the same problem...Where will I find the content of "/Library/QuickTime" on windows 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]