FORUMS: list search recent posts

virtual sports show set preview and set up

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Frazier
virtual sports show set preview and set up
on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:06:19 am

I’m directing a shoot on Sunday where two actors will be placed in front of a green screen that we’ll make into a sports show set of some sort in post. I want to shoot all 3 cameras head on (so I can use the close ups for split screen interviews & b/c it’s improv so telling the actors to turn to face a different camera angle would make mixing and matching difficult and limiting in post).

So, I was wondering :
1- I’m having a hard time finding sets like this with multiple angles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2- I’ve read on this forum that live keying is a no go with CC. But surely there’s some way to make sure you have the angles set up correctly to match a virtual set, right? Is there some low cost hardware solution to just get this right? Some sort of external Blackmagic Design or other unit? I just remember when Serious Magic had something that was supposed to work live with DV cameras.

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: virtual sports show set preview and set up
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:57:01 am

I do not know of any cost friendly solution, but there are a few mixers out there that can key and composite a live signal.
If you just want to setup the angles with AE, shoot some footage, do a quick key and comp over the plates you have and adjust. 3-4 tests should give you the right angles.
However, I recommend using a 3d virtual set in AE. Zaxwerks Invigorator or Proanimator can provide the right tools to easily and quickly create a virtual set, even if you are not a 3d person. You can do the camera angle matching in post quite easy with that.

http://zaxwerks.com/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:50:05 pm

Thanks very much for the help! I was wondering if just a little of test footage might be a work around. Not ideal though. I'm very surprised there isn't a more direct and easy way to do this.

Thanks for thoughts on the Zaxwerks software. Unfortunately, it looks to be a bit out of my league--especially before Sunday. I have a friend who's supposed to be helping with the SFX and setup of the shoot, but he's always working and very hard to reach.

Do you know of any sites that sell quality sets like I'm looking for? My searches are not yielding much.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Dec 15, 2013 at 11:28:42 pm

Some years I used some virtual sets from these guys. We bought individual sets from them and they give you multiple angles and mattes. Not sure what your budget is, but I think they charge around $100/set.

http://www.virtualsetworks.com

Return to posts index

Samuel Frazier
on Dec 18, 2013 at 9:23:20 pm

Very sorry for the delay. I missed this somehow in the midst of shopping, migraines, and a birthday. But thanks very much for the link. I found them too and was considered a few of their options. Actually think we're going to go with one of them. The only problem is, we may have to blow up one of their sets for a closeup, so I may have to buy the higher res version for $300 more. Not crazy about it, but oh well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]