FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects & SSD's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Pickersgill
After Effects & SSD's
on Dec 4, 2013 at 2:50:01 pm

Having heard a lot of hype surrounding the use of SSD's as an After Effects cache drive I took the plunge and installed a Samsung 250Gb EVO, expecting to see an improvement in rendering performance as so many have claimed they've seen.

Up till now I've seen no improvement whatsoever and - I dare say it - my 10,000rpm raid 0 seems to perform a little better.

Has anyone found MARKED improvement with this SSD? I'd be interested to hear your opinions ...

Rgds Dean
IndiVid Videography

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects & SSD's
on Dec 4, 2013 at 4:04:04 pm

[Dean Pickersgill] "Having heard a lot of hype surrounding the use of SSD's as an After Effects cache drive I took the plunge and installed a Samsung 250Gb EVO, expecting to see an improvement in rendering performance as so many have claimed they've seen."

The disk cache doesn't really improve rendering performance so much as shift it around, allowing you to re-use rendered frames from your working session during output rather than re-rendering them from scratch at output.

If you're generally previewing at reduced resolution (for example, if your viewer is set for 50% magnfication and Half resolution), then any RAM previews that are being committed to the disk cache will also be half res and cannot be exploited for a final, full-res render.

A green line above the layer stack in the timeline panels indicates what frames are cached in RAM for the current viewer settings; a blue line indicates frames cached on disk. If you don't see these lines for a comp when you set the viewer's resolution to match the output resolution, you do not have already-cached frames.

You might benefit from (optionally/temporarily) setting the resolution of the viewer to full, specifically caching a comp or precomp in the background (Ctrl+Return on Windows, Cmd+Return on Macs, or Composition > Cache work area in background), then (optionally) resetting the viewer resolution while you work on other parts of a project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dean Pickersgill
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:42:32 pm

Cheers Walter, and - yes, I'm aware of these factors, but my point is that (having completed a comp) I'd expect the SSD to speed up the rendering of my previews when I hit the '0' key, whereas it doesn't. Using the 10000rpm disk IS faster, for me at least.

Perhaps I'm over-expecting what an SSD can deliver, and perhaps the hype I've heard is from those who were previously using slower disks ...

Cheers sir,
Rgds Dean

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 4, 2013 at 6:01:13 pm

Sorry I misunderstood, Dean!

[Dean Pickersgill] "Using the 10000rpm disk IS faster, for me at least. Perhaps I'm over-expecting what an SSD can deliver, and perhaps the hype I've heard is from those who were previously using slower disks ..."

The disk cache should be on your fastest disk for best performance. What's are the read speed and access times of your drives?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:27:12 pm

SSD Drives have a far better latency than mechanical drives so the 10K drives cannot be faster. The files were located on the raid 0 before and what are located now on the SSD?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Dean Pickersgill
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:36:15 am

Ah, gentlemen, thanks for replying - I figured out that in actual fact I'd made a simple (yet stupid) mistake in naming my SSD's, using the same name for descriptors on my RAID disks. Er :-/

Having fixed that I'm now seeing the increased speed I expected from the SSD. SO happy with the SAMSUNG EVO 250Gb that I dashed out and bought another, just for the fun of it ;-)

Best regards
Dean
IndiVid Videography

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]