FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wiggle expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gaskin
Wiggle expression
on Nov 3, 2013 at 9:31:46 pm

Hi there,

I want to create a wiggle expression but be able to start it and end it at a specific point on the time line.

Can any one please help?

Thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Wiggle expression
on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:06:03 am

Since wiggle takes a minimum of 2 parameters which represent frequency and amount, you can use an expression slider to keyframe either of these values to 0 thereby stopping the wiggle eg: wiggle(5,10) then wiggle(0,10)

An expression can also reference Composition time in seconds and start or stop the wiggle that way.

Additionally you can use markers to trigger expressions:

if (marker.numKeys > 0){
n = marker.nearestKey(time).index;
pos = [value[0],value[1]];
if (n == 2) {
pos;
}else{
wiggle(2,40);
}
}

Here are 2 methods in this sample file:

6740_stopwiggle.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
Re: Wiggle expression
on Nov 4, 2013 at 8:29:35 pm

Thanks for the message Ridley.

You'll have to forgive me as I am very new to expressions so bit confused.
You talk about an expression slider, is this the slider control in after effects? If so how do you control the expression with it?

Are there any tutorials you know of that shows you how to do this you could point me to? Really appreciate you sending the example file but I couldnt open them with my version of AE (CS5) so i guess you have a newer version

Many thanks

Scott

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
Re: Wiggle expression CS5 Version
on Nov 4, 2013 at 8:55:31 pm

Here is a CS5 version:

6748_stopwigglecs5.aep.zip

In the Composition named "Wiggle with Slider" , there are Expression sliders wired into the wiggle expression for the position of the layer.

For information on expressions go to motionscript.com, Dan Ebberts' site which is a terrific source of information for beginners. You may also want to learn the basics of JavaScript, look to CodeAcademy for free tutorials.

Return to posts index

Scott Gaskin
Re: Wiggle expression CS5 Version
on Nov 5, 2013 at 9:11:58 pm

Many thanks for your help with this Ridley and for supplying the CS5 file. I will have a look and check out the site you mentioned. Much appreciated

Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]