FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tight deadline! Problems with Particular Project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Fink
Tight deadline! Problems with Particular Project
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:34:49 pm

I already posted a thread regarding how to create a ribbon with photos and particular.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1042303

Sorry to post again but I'm on a tight deadline and haven heard a fix for this yet.

At my first pass I got the motion and the photo spacing correct based on a precomp of about 50 images, but then realized I was getting images out of order and duplicates. I am using "Current Frame - Freeze. Well I learned that to fix this I would need to make the particles/sec the same number as my image precomp framerate which is 30. This did put them in proper order with no dupes. The problem is that when the particle emitter is going the proper speed so we can actually discern the photos, it's too slow for particular to keep them spaced properly & the photos stack on top of each other as seen in the pic below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5z1rmy1qs5a7b2/ribbon%20issue.jpg

Is there a way to change the spacing without changing the speed of the animation. Or any workarounds. Much thanks if you can help me.

OSX 10.8.4
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS6 Production Premium, FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: Tight deadline! Problems with Particular Project
on Oct 4, 2013 at 7:57:14 pm

Don't know about particular and getting that right, but couldn't you get this shape done with Freeform?

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:20:00 pm

Zaxwerks Serpentine and 3D Warps plug-ins would probably work for this as well and they're about half the price.

I have a free after effects filmstrip template on my site that would probably be useful as well.

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
on Oct 5, 2013 at 8:34:18 am

Freeform is included since CS5, and according to the stats, man in question has cs6.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:20:45 pm

Sorry but Freeform is not included in CS6 or CC. They stopped bundling it in CS6. So purchase is the only option apparently.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/freeform-and-after-effects-cs6....

OSX 10.8.4

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 6, 2013 at 10:53:07 pm

Reuben is right. FreeForm V2 (only $99.00) replaces Digieffects FreeForm that was bundled with CS5. FreeForm V2 is up to 10 times faster and will open all files created with the bundled version. See: http://www.mettle.com/freeform-v2/

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:40:27 pm

Would a simple "Follow the leader" animation suffice?

6603_followtheleader.aep.zip

The Layer labeled "Leader" has a slider control that adjusts the offset.

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Oct 5, 2013 at 12:07:38 am

These are all really good suggestions. But I was hoping for a fix with Particular since several comps have already been setup already. They are basically done. I was hoping to just find some kind of fix with particular to adjust the offset like in the follow the leader example. BTW I did start the project with the follow the leader expression and it seemed like it would work but once I had to do it with over 40 images it slowed down to a crawl. It was very tedious to work with. Now I did mess with freeform for the first time today and I gotta say that might have been the route to go. Very straight forward. Though I feel if I can figure this out there are some advantages to the look and feel of doing it with particles. I'll take a look at Zaxwerks. But in the meantime if anyone can figure out, maybe with an expression which is not my forte, how to change the offset with particular, that would rock.

Thanks for all the info.

OSX 10.8.4

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04:19 pm

maybe this will come a little late but... If you want to double the space between the photos(that are actually particles) just cut in half the emission number!

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Oct 15, 2013 at 12:34:22 am

Deadline is passed and it looks like freeform was the solution for now. But I'm so determined to find a solution using particular so here I am again following up. Cassius your suggestion would work if it didn't matter what order the photos emitted. The problem is I have to stick with the emission number of 30 since that's my frame rate, to keep all images in the proper order and to make sure I don't have any duplicates. In the project you sent me you added this expression:

t=thisComp.layer("Draw Path").inPoint;
thisComp.layer("Draw Path").position.valueAtTime(t);

Which made the particles follow the leader. Is there anything else we could add to the expression to delay the trailing particles so they don't all stack on top of each other? Basically create an offset for each particle that's following?

If it's impossible with an expression then I will drop this obsession ;).

OSX 10.8.4

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Oct 15, 2013 at 2:02:48 am

Reuben, glad FreeForm got you out of a bind. Can you post a link to the final result please?

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
Solution Found
on Dec 10, 2013 at 6:40:24 pm

I had meant to follow up on this thread. I did think that freeform was my only solution but the deadline got pushed and I was so determined to find an answer with particular cuz I'm stubborn that I finally got what I needed. Which was between 100-200 unique photos in the proper order with the proper spacing without any repeated images.

Here is the result.

Solution:
Because of the desired speed of the particles and proper spacing needed I could only emit 10 particles a second to get the look I wanted. What this wound up doing was skipping images from the source layer and eventually repeating images. With closer look I realized that particular was grabbing every 14th frame from the source layer but the images were only 1 frame each, so there was the issue. The solution was to make each photo 14 frames long then sequence them as you would normally. This gave the proper spacing in time. You would have to adjust for your project since it won't always be the same numbers.

What I like about using particular for this kind of thing is I get full control over each particle, it's more manageable due to the large amount of images, and If I need to replace the photos with a new batch it only takes a few minutes to implement. Thanks for everyone's input.

OSX 10.8.4

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Oct 5, 2013 at 12:36:13 am

[Reuben Fink] "Is there a way to change the spacing without changing the speed of the animation."

What if you just reduce the size of the particles and then adjust the Z offset W under World Transform?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]