FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Copilot Serious FX Training

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Vazquez
Video Copilot Serious FX Training
on Sep 21, 2013 at 3:54:19 am

Hello,

I was thinking of getting the Video Copilot Serious FX Training DVD. Would anyone recommend it?

Thanks,
Victor Vazquez

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Video Copilot Serious FX Training
on Sep 21, 2013 at 1:52:22 pm

With some hunting around, you could find similar tutorials to everything that is on that DVD, which at this point is pretty dated as it came out around the time of CS4. If someone wanted to sell you a copy for 20 bucks, sure watch it, Andrew's a great and funny teacher, but I wouldn't pay full price for it now.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Victor Vazquez
on Sep 21, 2013 at 10:07:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, Johnny. Do you know of any other training for After Effects that may be worth the money?

Thanks,
Victor

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:16:06 pm

There are some great links here: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), one of them links to Andrew Devis's series at the Cow. Also VideoCoPilot has 100 or so great free tutorials you should check out from beginner to advance skill sets.

As far as money wise, I think Lynda.com does a great job, they are constantly updating there site as new software comes out and have pretty good teachers covering the materal.

Lastly, you can't beat The Cow if you are trying to figure out something in particular.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Victor Vazquez
on Sep 22, 2013 at 4:01:05 pm

Thanks so much! I have been able to check out the tutorials at VideoCopilot. I'll check the others.

Thanks,
Victor

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 24, 2013 at 3:02:08 am

VCP tutorials are very good. Mostly because they're conceptual in nature, and not so much about re-creating the projects being presented... although that's what most people do. Don't worry as much about the versions used, most of the really important stuff in AE hasn't changed that much since CS3. I sometimes watch VCP tutorials in my spare time, even though I can re-create those shots on my own. It's just good practice to see how other artists work. Sometimes you can pickup workflows and techniques better than your own, or sometimes it reinforces why you do things a particular way. It certainly couldn't hurt to add what VCP teaches to your own knowledge.

With that said, I also (strongly) recommend watching the work of Aharon Rabinowitz here on the Cow, he also has a lot of good foundational stuff. I also suggest http://www.digital-tutors.com, they have entire learning tracks that are designed to take you from beginner to intermediate operator in a fairly short time. I also suggest that you read (from cover to cover, multiple times) Mark Christiansen's Adobe After Effects CS6 Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques along with Steve Wright's Digital Compositing for Film and Video .

Lastly, do yourself a really big favor and get a Lynda.com subscription, as Jonny says they do a great job, but specifically, you'll want to absorb Trish and Chris Meyer's After Effects Apprentice course... there's 100 level gold in those videos. I wish training of that quality had been so inexpensive (and online) when I first started out. I would have saved thousands of dollars! :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Victor Vazquez
on Sep 24, 2013 at 11:45:00 pm

Thanks,Shawn! I went through training with Chris and Trish to get out of the very beginner's mindset then moved onto Andrew Kramer's more advanced tutorials to pick up ideas. I'm going to check out all of your considerations!

Thanks,
Victor

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 25, 2013 at 4:25:39 pm

[Victor Vazquez] "Thanks,Shawn! I went through training with Chris and Trish to get out of the very beginner's mindset then moved onto Andrew Kramer's more advanced tutorials to pick up ideas. I'm going to check out all of your considerations!

Thanks,
Victor"

Ah, if you're looking for more advanced training, you might also consider fxphd.com. Their courses are a bit more spendy, but you get access to the instructors via the course forums. They usually have AE tracks, so it's worth checking back with them every quarter to see what their offerings are. In fact, I think they're winding down the summer quarter pretty soon, so the fall schedule should be out soon.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Victor Vazquez
on Sep 25, 2013 at 11:55:21 pm

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Thanks,
Victor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved