FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange layer influence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Adlon
Strange layer influence
on Sep 13, 2013 at 6:50:18 pm

Here's an odd quirk I discovered early on when I first got AE CS6...

I had a project with a number of different layers. Many of the layers had rotational animations.

What I found was that when I moved one layer higher in the stack, one of the layers that was now below it would suddenly change it's rotation value slightly! Moving the first layer back below it, the rotation value returned to its previous value.

Can't give you too much specifics, but here's what I can tell you:

-The layers were not parented or linked via any expressions
-I believe the rotation animation was keyframe based, but also had an expression to randomize the values a bit (perhaps a wiggle() expression), but again, not linked in any way to the moved layer.

So, essentially, the rotation value of one layer seemed to be subtly influenced by the stacking position of another unrelated layer.

Anyone else run into this, or have any theories? It wasn't a big issue for the project, but very curious.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Strange layer influence
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:02:58 pm

[Larry Adlon] "-I believe the rotation animation was keyframe based, but also had an expression to randomize the values a bit (perhaps a wiggle() expression), but again, not linked in any way to the moved layer."

By default, the random number generator is seeded by the layer index. Moving the layer changes its index; changing the index changes the random number seed; changing the random number seed changes the random number sequence output.

You can manually set the random seed in your expression with seedRandom() [link]. This would keep the animation the same, regardless of layer index.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Larry Adlon
Re: Strange layer influence
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:48:31 pm

Oh, neat. Okay, that explains it! Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]