FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange distortion in final AE output

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Cates
Strange distortion in final AE output
on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:21:16 pm

I'm getting a strange distortion in my final output using an uncompressed QT file (see attached). I've tried various methods of output and turned off motion blur (which was the problem with a previous post) but nothing solves the problem.

Been on AE since the beginning and have never seen this. Any help would be appreciated.

My system:
iMac OS 1.6.8
2.93 GHz IntelCorei7
16 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 Graphics Card

Thanks
R.Cates

Randy Cates
Video Production/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Strange distortion in final AE output
on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:35:55 pm

It's just your viewer. You worked at either 720 or 1080, both of which allow wide pixels. So your comp was either 960x720, or 1440x1080... both of which are a 4x3 screen aspect ratio in SQUARE pixels. Your viewer assumes the pixels are square, and so you see a 4x3 image.

Make sense?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Aug 29, 2013 at 6:51:38 pm

Makes perfect sense except that both the source and the comp are 720p square pixels. Unfortunately, that's not it.

If you're making that assumption based on seeing that 1024x768 comp in my project that's not the comp being displayed. Also the distortion I'm referring to isn't a squishing (square vs. rectangular) I'm referring to this weirdness in the image it's self - please look closely at the attached. The aspect is fine.

Thanks for the fast response.
R.Cates

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Aug 29, 2013 at 7:32:34 pm

This is pixel motion frame blending turned on. The quickest way to get rid of this is in your render output turn Frame Blending Off for all layers. You're not seeing it in the viewport because my guess is that the Frame Blending button next to your time line isn't clicked, however, if some of your layers have a solid diagonal line under frame blending then it will render unless you force it "off".

You can also go though all of your layers and one of them must have a solid diagonal line checked for frame blending. The "tearing" you're seeing is AE attempting to create an in-between frame based on pixel motion. Pixel motion is wonderful for creating smooth slo-mo, but in a lot of cases if there isn't enough information for AE to create a smooth frame you'll wind up with what you're seeing. Good luck!

- Mike

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Aug 29, 2013 at 8:07:34 pm

Thanks Mike that sounds right. I had actually turned it on and saw this artifact in the comp earlier but it went away when I switched it off. I don't see any layers with it turned on (and you can see it isn't on for the comp with the artifacts - and it isn't on in the nested comp either) that's showing the problem.

I'll render a quick test of this section with it off for all (since I'm not using it) and post my results.

Thanks!
Randy Cates

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Aug 29, 2013 at 8:22:22 pm

Thanks Mike that was it.

I had actually turned on frame blending and saw this artifact in the comp earlier (when the master switch was active) but it went away when I switched off the master.

You may find this interesting. I have this animation (pre rendered) in a nested comp and it's used in three spots (it's a long looping event presentation reel). I did have the Frame blend slash active on one of the three comps yet the effect appeared in all three even (it was off on the other two). Additionally the master frame blend switch was off.

I wouldn't think the two with the FB effect off would render this way even with force all effects turned on in the que. Weird. Maybe a bug?

Anyway Thanks you saved the day! Thanks to you too Dave for chiming in.
You saved my bacon.

Randy Cates

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Sep 4, 2013 at 10:57:05 pm

Randy - Definitely odd that the effect was showing on comps that didn't even have frame blending turned on. I'm glad forcing it off in the Queue worked. Glad everything worked out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]