FORUMS: list search recent posts

CPU Usage Drops To 50% After Loading Photoshop, etc. While Rendering And Stays That Way

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Boen
CPU Usage Drops To 50% After Loading Photoshop, etc. While Rendering And Stays That Way
on Aug 16, 2013 at 3:13:55 pm

I started using a Mac Pro with CS6, expecting to multi task while rendering for weeks.

I noticed that I can't even load Photoshop and use it while rendering something in After Effects without the processor dropping from 95% to 50% and staying like that for the rest of the render (Days/Weeks/Months). I allocated 2 processors for other programs in After Effects and am still experiencing the same problem.

Do I need more ram? Why does the CPU usage stay at 50% and never jump back to 95%?

CS6
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)
Processor 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 24 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: CPU Usage Drops To 50% After Loading Photoshop, etc. While Rendering And Stays That Way
on Aug 16, 2013 at 4:58:23 pm

Rendering becomes a background task with lower priority when you launch another application at the same time. The CPU will start changing the pre-fetch to priority order and the higher priority data will process first. Once you slow the CPU processing down for AE render engine then it will adjust to the new data rate and stay there. The system as you have it now is close to the limit that Mac Pro will really give you. You might try changing the ram assignment per thread to 1GB in the multiprocessing options in AE. See if that changes. Beyond that it's getting time to start looking for a new workstation if this current performance is to low for your timeframes.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]