FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rolling bands in Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenn Schulz
Rolling bands in Video
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:10:18 pm

Any way to correct "rolling Bands" in video footage? I had shutter on NX5U set too high while shooting interior with mercury vapor lamps. Any help would be appreciated.

-KS

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Rolling bands in Video
on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:12:51 pm

You can try creating a animated mask that matches the bands in the footage and then to a basic color correction to try to match the other part of the image, but it's a pain and the results are not always the best. Re-shoot or use the bands as a starting point for a different look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kenn Schulz
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:23:37 am

Thanks, Ted... the problem lies with the bands moving from top to bottom within a couple of seconds. Unfortunately the footage I'm trying to correct is 22 min. long so at specific times I would have to split the layers and repeat the 'tracking' process after (so many) seconds. Can't re-shoot so I may just scrap the whole thing... non-paying job might I add. -KS

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 17, 2013 at 4:53:49 am

i've have really good luck timewarping 50% in 50% timestretched layer then setting 3000 shutter blur. i then add an adjustment layer set as color with median effect.

what it does is slow down the flicker by interpolating time, blur the lines with adaptive motion blur, and smooth the chroma tears by smearing the color channel.

only needs a simple garbage matte. works with really bad stuff

here's my ae 5.5 aep
6415_nomoirecs5.5.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Kenn Schulz
on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:51:27 am

Everyone is getting the wrong idea. The effect with rolling bands is like trying to video an older TV set with (for instance) an VHS camcorder. The disocoration 'bands' move in a specific amount of time from bottom to top. Rolling shutter is not the problem. -KS

Image Link -
rollingbands.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]