FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a Sunny Day Into a Cloudy Day.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Arndt
Making a Sunny Day Into a Cloudy Day.
on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:03:48 pm

Hi guys. I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm trying to make this sunny video clip look like...

This cloudy video.

I'm not sure if it can be done. I don't think I can use the Clone Stamp Tool because the video moves.
My idea was to use the CC Threshold or the Colorama on to make everything in the shadows black and every thing else white. Then we could use the Luma Inverted Matte to make all the white transparent, and then we could put the other copy of the video under it. Then we could darken it or change the color. So we would have 3 layers. Top: Video made black and white. Middle: Regular video with Luma Inverted Matte. Bottom: Regular video with some effect to darken or brighten it.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks a Lot!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Making a Sunny Day Into a Cloudy Day.
on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:48:15 pm

The real problem I see is the hard shadows from it being a sunny day. One suggestion to help get rid of the hard shadows would be to do a secondary color correction where you pick the sunny part of the road, and make it match the part of the road which is in shadow. That would help get rid of the shadows. Lowering the contrast will also help out, as well as toning the entire video to the more bluish tone of the cloudy day - you could also use color correction here by picking an average color from your cloudy day snow, then trying to do a color match for the sunny snow.

The hard shadows on the actual tree trunks are also a giveaway that it's sunny - I'm not quite sure how you'd deal with that, although the reduced contrast will help out. Some desaturation will also help you.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nathan Arndt
on Aug 3, 2013 at 7:26:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try that out.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 3, 2013 at 10:00:35 pm

Joseph already told you why this shot will be challenging but I thought I could add a few more thoughts.

The cloudy shot has much flatter lighting. No hard shadows as well as no bright spots. In addition it's a much cooler looking shot. So the challenge is (at least) two fold:

1. Reduce local contrast. Brighten the darks and darken the brights. The easiest way to approach this would probably be the Shadows/Highlights effect.

2. Cool the colors. There are a lot of options for this one. I'd likely use Curves as it would allow me to further refine the contrast of the image as well as allowing me to reduce the Reds and Greens a bit. The Photo Filter effect or using a blue solid layer with blending modes would be good alternates.

You may also want to reduce the saturation with the Tint effect.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Nathan Arndt
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:36:59 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]