Masking an Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Thompson
Masking an Effect
on Aug 3, 2013 at 12:48:27 pm

Hello,
Question:
How do I use a mask to mask the effect on a layer and not the layer itself? For example, I want to have a blur effect pass over a text layer, but I don't want it effecting the entire layer all at the same time.
Is this done by using expression controls? If so, how?

-Evan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Masking an Effect
on Aug 3, 2013 at 3:26:09 pm

There are many ways. One is to put a mask on an adjustment layer and also apply the effect to the adjustment layer.

These two videos show a couple of approaches:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-by-video/adobe-after-effects-cs5-motion-tra...

http://www.peachpit.com/podcasts/episode.aspx?e=eb0dc392-6e0c-4028-817d-cec...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Evan Thompson
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:53:52 pm

An adjustment layer! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I was thinking on a different track.

That should do the trick.

Thank you!
-Evan

Return to posts index

Evan Thompson
on Aug 4, 2013 at 12:01:36 am

And another quick question to go with that.

What is the proper way to have the adjustment layer effect only select layers instead of everything below it? I know I can create a different sequence for just the layers I want effected, but is there a better way to do that?

-Evan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 4, 2013 at 12:30:06 am

> What is the proper way to have the adjustment layer effect only select layers instead of everything below it?

That's not possible. That's not how adjustment layers work. An adjustment layer applies to the composite of the layers beneath it.

If you want to apply an effect to a specified set of layers, you have many options. Here are three:

- Precompose the layers and apply the effect to the precomposition layer.
- Precompose the layers and add an adjustment layer within the nested composition.
- Apply the effect to each of the layers individually.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Evan Thompson
on Aug 4, 2013 at 1:02:36 am

Alright, I can work with that. That's as far as I knew about adjustment layers. I thought that maybe they could be applied to specific layers like in Photoshop.

Thank you for your help and information. I appreciate it.
-Evan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]