FORUMS: list search recent posts

pixel size text problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrés Borghi
pixel size text problems
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:59:10 pm

Hello!

I'm working on a video where a facebook-similar page is shown and we have to recreate facebook on ater fx.

The problem comes when adding the text. I've found some pixelated looking fonts but when I scale them to "facebook size" they distort. I guess they are 10 or 11 pixels high. If I activate the icon that adds antialias to the layers (don't know the actual name of the feature, sorry, it's the one that has this bar "/" ) It makes it too blurry. And If that's not activated the pixels mix and the text gets distorded. I've tried many sizes but it's always the same.

I wonder if there's a correct way of doing this. The text really has to have the facebook size. Can't be made bigger.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: pixel size text problems
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:29:39 pm

I'm confused. Do you want a pixellated-looking typeface, or are you trying to avoid pixelation?
Typically, AE text layers look really good at almost any size, so I don't your technique in this instance.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrés Borghi
on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:42:22 am

I'll try to make it more clear.
My composition, which mimics a cmputer screen where the user is using facebook, must be exported as a full video in 1920 x 1080. it's like making a screen capture of your pc right now, if were using facebook. later, the camera will make extreme close detail shots of the things people write in facebook, filming the screen of a real monitor.

So, I just need to imitate facebook, that's all.

But when I make the text the size needed (it's the same exact size you're reading right now) the text gets blurry.

That's the problem. If I lower the quality of the layer to avoid antialiasing so it remains pixelated, the text gets distorded. So, The ideal outcome would be to have the text perfectly pixelated just as the one you'r reading here, but I just can't get to make it look like this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:17:01 pm

You must be scaling something up until it's too large... such as a precomp. Use the Collapse Transformations switch: it will make the precomped text sharp again, but nothing else in the procomp that is bitmapped.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:36:13 pm

I can't understand what you're after. You're contradicting yourself.

[Andrés Borghi] "If I lower the quality of the layer to avoid antialiasing so it remains pixelated"

If you try to avoid antialiasing, yes text will become pixelated/aliased.

But then you say:

[Andrés Borghi] "The ideal outcome would be to have the text perfectly pixelated just as the one you'r reading here"

A text rendered by a browser ain't pixelated (is doesn't look as it, because you don't see the pixels) because it is antialiased!

So if you want to allways have a render perfect text, just do as Dave said and check "collapse transformations" for any composition that has a text layer inside.

Return to posts index

Andrés Borghi
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:41:37 pm

Hmm, ok, I'll try with an image to illustrate my point. The text is NOT on a precomp, so collapse is not allowed. The text is right there in the main composition.

So, here it is:

Here, you see the text "El Cicho", 3 times, one after another.

1-the first "El Cicho" is a jpg, a capture directly taken from facebook, so you can see how perfectly defined the pixels are. This is how I have to make the AE text look like.

2-The second "El Cicho" is a text layer from AE where I tried to get it to look just like the first "El Cicho". As you can see in the layers below, this one has the "quality" feature ( "/" ) activated. The text looks blurry.

3-the third one is the same as the second one but in draft quality. You can see the pixels are well defined but the text is distorted.

So, I can't get it to look like it should. Maybe I've reached some limit of the software...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:14:29 pm

Well, of COURSE it's going to look blurry! You're viewing it at 400% magnification!

Look at the comp at its proper magnification -- 100% -- and tell us what you see.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Andrés Borghi
on Jul 25, 2013 at 4:26:53 pm

it's the same

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:28:37 pm

What you want is a very specific scalling algorithm (like the one controlling viewport magnification that you used as example), there's nothing font or quality related there. Nor thats an application limitation, no one would ever be able to make fonts render in "n" ways considering "n" scale values. That alone is an application by itself.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:43:51 pm

If you add a little bit of stroke to the draft version of that layer, it ought to be the proper weight to match the other type.

But if you're still not satisfied, do what I would do: fake ALL the text on that page! Just cover the old text with a solid in the proper color, and add the text.

The only person who would notice that you faked it would be the Special Assistant to the Vice-President of Typefaces at Facebook, and s/he doesn't count... unless you happen to work at Facebook, of course. But then, you could tell someone to make up a special page to use in your animation and not agonize over trivial things like this.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]