FORUMS: list search recent posts

best intermediate format for taking gopro footage out of after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Payne
best intermediate format for taking gopro footage out of after effects
on Jul 2, 2013 at 8:02:21 am

hi all, I have a lot of gopro footage that I want to run through the warp stabilizer in after effects cs6 (dont have premiere cs6) and I then want to output it to be able to edit in premiere.

I have up until now been exporting using the .mov preset at 1080p but the resulting files are HUGE. I'm talking 5gb for just 10 seconds or so. I tried using the mpeg-bluray preset but the image quality was awful.

I dont need to export audio but I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best file size vs quality (I find h.264 to be a bit low quality) format to output in as I recently tried to import some of the stabilised .mov files into another machine (CS5) and it wouldnt read them.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: best intermediate format for taking gopro footage out of after effects
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:22:49 pm

I'd suggest rendering to an intermediate or mezzanine codec like ProRes, DNxHD or CineForm.

Failing that, QuickTime with the Photo JPEG compressor (quality set around 90 or above) should do nicely.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Payne
Re: best intermediate format for taking gopro footage out of after effects
on Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18:17 am

thanks walter, choosing that photo JPEG compressor reduced the file size massively. Still seems good quality so I think that'll do nicely for me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]