FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CC forces you to use AME for common formats

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ryan kelly
AE CC forces you to use AME for common formats
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:30:39 pm

Just a complaint I guess: Can no longer export mp4/h264 files (unless in quicktime container) but must use AME to render project. Using AME to render an AE project that uses ray-tracing uses the software renderer which is, as many know, horrendously slow.

Is there any way to add back in output modules to AE CC itself?

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CC forces you to use AME for common formats
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:39:39 pm

[ryan kelly] "Is there any way to add back in output modules to AE CC itself?"

Preferences > Output > Show Deprecated Formats In Output Module Settings.

That said, I am sure they were deprecated for good reasons.

You may get better results for these formats by rendering an intermediate from Ae and using AME to compress it to your delivery format, especially if you want to take advantage of multi-pass encoding.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:45:04 pm

Great! Thanks for the quick response, Walter.

I just like to have the built in mp4 for quickly rendering files for approvals, etc.

I'm sure there was a reason to not include them - other than forcing us to use AME ;) Sending to AME adds an extra step that seems unnecessary (for certain cases).

For now, I'm going to re-enable.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

JuanAntonio Domingo
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:36:41 am

Thank you for such an easy way to activate these codecs (but not very understanding as an option).
I would like to say that AE makes a folder called "..._AME" with a copy of your project inside. So if your compression fails and you make any change in your composition you have to resend the comp to AME in order to make this change visible. Another thing to consider is always using solids or some kind of image as your background (not the background composition) because AME probably would make your background black.

Thanks.

JuanAntonio Domingo
Video producer (Barcelona-Spain).
http://www.elhombreorquesta.com

JuanAntonio Domingo

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:49:28 pm

from "what’s new and changed in After Effects CC (12.0)":

"removed H.264, MPEG-2, and WMV formats from the default state of the After Effects render queue: In general, you should use Adobe Media Encoder to create output in these formats that have been deprecated from the After Effects render queue. If you need to be able to export these formats directly from After Effects, you can re-enable them by setting the preference Show Deprecated Formats In Output Module Settings in the Output preferences category."

There have been many problems with the H.264 and MPEG-2 exporters in After Effects. The exporters in Adobe Media Encoder (AME) didn't have these problems, and the team that works on AME is continuing to improve these exporters.

If you want the After Effects team to concentrate on things that we're good at (animation and image processing technology), then you should want us to not spend a lot of time on codecs, leaving that instead to the people expert in that area.

Before you ask: No, it is not a simple matter of just dropping the AME code into After Effects. That said, we think that the best long-term solution is to have After Effects call Adobe Media Encoder to do the encoding work when you add things to the render queue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:55:15 pm

Thanks Todd. (RTFM, I know... sorry)

Is there a way for AME to invoke the GPU for raytraced AE projects? A project that takes 2 minutes to render out of AE was going to take over an HOUR using AME because it wasn't using the GPU.

-Ryan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:06:39 pm

> Is there a way for AME to invoke the GPU for raytraced AE projects?

No tested and supported way, no. (At least one brave soul has experimented with an untested and unsupported way.)

My workflow for such things is to render and export a master file out of After Effects that goes into a watch folder. Then AME picks it up from the watch folder automatically and creates all of my delivery files. That uses After Effects for what it's good at and AME for what it's good at.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:09:37 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. I will use both options depending on my scenario (outdated output modules as well as the AME watch folder)

Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jun 30, 2013 at 1:54:36 pm

I would also highly recommend Todd's workflow if you've got the Cineware plugin rendering some C4D animation. I tried useing AME to do that out of curiosity and it was pretty ridiculous and slow. I've always made it a habit to render a master file at full res and then compress with AME to appropriate formats.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Ian Boseley
on Sep 17, 2013 at 2:37:48 pm

I don't usually respond to messages in forums but after reading this reply I thought I had to. I understand that technology moves on and that we should try to keep pace with it. However, all of our clients are not technology companies that have access to the latest trend in video format. Although, it may seem to some that they live in the dark ages, they still need to proof view the media we have created for them and believe it or not they still LIKE to view their proofs in a the .wmv format prior to giving us approval to export the created media to the required output format.

I think the previous post sounds very arrogant and seems to ignore the facilities that their clients require of Adobe After Effects. Having only just upgraded to AE CC I am dismayed to find this format is no longer available and that I will have to seriously consider kicking Adobe CC into touch, as without this format we are forced to use an older version (CS4) which has served us well.

I know, foolish me, I should have checked to make sure CC was compatible with older formats.

It's back to CS4 for me to rework the media I have just spent several hours creating in CC

NOT HAPPY Clients 0 - Corporates 1

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:15:24 pm

I don't see what the problem is with sending your comps to AME? You're also freed up to continue working in AE if need be. CMD/CNTRL + OPT/ALT + M is the shortcut to send it to AME. Todd's right about AME handling compression much better than AE ever has. I've seen some foul renders come out of AE sometimes when I render to a compressed format. I suppose it's a different workflow somewhat, but not really once you learn how useful AME can be.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 19, 2013 at 1:13:54 am

> I know, foolish me, I should have checked to make sure CC was compatible with older formats.

It's back to CS4 for me to rework the media I have just spent several hours creating in CC

Ian,

Nothing has been removed.

As previous posts on this thread say, you can make After Effects CC (12.0) behave exactly the same as previous versions by checking one checkbox.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Leo DSouza
on Jun 12, 2014 at 7:06:56 am

hey Ryan Kelly

There is bug in AME export, and have found the solution if you are on WIndows then go to

1. Go to the Folder where your Adobe products are installed
2.Then Go to Adobe Media Encoder CC folder then
3.search the folder by name txt and then delete the txt file that is found over there
4. Kindy check the image file

Regards,
Leo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]