FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4's not playing on Apple devices

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Doughtie
MP4's not playing on Apple devices
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:08:18 pm

One of my producers has always worked in AE (CS6) in the Mac universe, but now is working on a PC. The most recent version of Quicktime is installed on the PC.

Renders to MP4 play fine on the PC but will not play on Apple devices (iPhone/iPad). We are using the default MP4 render settings. Also trying h.264 now.

Any suggestions/recommendations for MP4 output that will play on both PC and Apple devices?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: MP4's not playing on Apple devices
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:16:13 pm

[Jon Doughtie] "Renders to MP4 play fine on the PC but will not play on Apple devices (iPhone/iPad). We are using the default MP4 render settings. Also trying h.264 now."

Adobe Media Encoder has presets for Apple devices. You should use one of these.

Also, don't render directly to H.264 or MP4 from Ae directly. AME uses updated encoders and Ae does not.

Either render an intermediate and compress it with AME, or use AME to render to your Ae comp via drag and drop from Ae to AME or via File > Add After Effects Composition.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:23:39 pm

Regrettably, we do not yet have AME. This is a standalone copy of AE (I know, I know, crazy).

We'll have the full suite coming soon, but not quite yet. We'll see if an h.264 will tide us over until we have more options.

Thank you for your quick response!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:52:13 pm

I never use the MPEG-4 encoder. H.264 is what I'd recommend using in almost every case.

Also you may want to check out the Multiplexer tab in the Format Options of the Output Module. There should be a Stream Compatibility drop down and one of the options is iPod which generally should improve compatibility with most mobile devices.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:28:00 am

> Regrettably, we do not yet have AME. This is a standalone copy of AE (I know, I know, crazy).

Adobe Media Encode is part of the After Effects installer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]