FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Camera Tracker points disappear throughout scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
3D Camera Tracker points disappear throughout scene
on Jun 4, 2013 at 8:11:29 pm

I'm trying to use the 3D camera tracker on a moving shot but I can't seem to find 3 track points that are on screen the entire time so near the end of the shot the track falls apart.

Is it possible to restrict the visibility of the track point to ONLY those that were able to track the entire clip so I don't run into this problem?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: 3D Camera Tracker points disappear throughout scene
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:45:27 pm

[Dustin Parsons] "Is it possible to restrict the visibility of the track point to ONLY those that were able to track the entire clip so I don't run into this problem?

Thanks!"

Not possible and not necessarily a good thing if there aren't sufficient points throughout the shot.

You can try selecting a single point and see if the solve works well this way. Three points give you a target visual as a guide but a single works well in providing you with a solved point in 3D space.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 4, 2013 at 10:11:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the single point doesn't work for what I'm trying to do.

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "...not necessarily a good thing if there aren't sufficient points throughout the shot."

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm given a hundred or so track points and it's really difficult to find which are persistant throughout the scene and which appear for just a second.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Maybe track the first half of the shot, then the 2nd half and combine keyframes? Ugh... that doesn't sound pretty.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24:34 am

With CS6, you can now delete points but this has to be done for each frame that the point exists. In AE CC, you will be able to delete points across all frames. The idea here is to obtain a more accurate camera solve.

What you can do is to mask out irrelevant areas in a precomp. Then hope that you get more points in the areas where you need them. I should add that this has a low probability of success but it's worth a shot.

I'm also surprised that a single point will not do the trick for you. The only difference between a single and three points (heck, you can even select as many as you want) is that you will not have an accurate orientation value with a single point solve. You can however nudge the orientation values to suit your exacting needs.

If all of these fail, you will do well to post your video so that we can have a more direct appreciation of your situation.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 5, 2013 at 5:26:03 pm

Sorry Roland, I spoke too soon. The single point tracked perfectly. Thanks for suggesting, I would never have guessed that would have worked for this scene.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:07:59 pm

I'm glad it's worked out well for you Dustin.

I should clarify that a single should also give you an accurate orientation value if it is a 'good/solid' and persistent point. The only downside is the lack of the target visual guide.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]