FORUMS: list search recent posts

After effects problem - flicker when animating slow moving objects.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukasz Kondek
After effects problem - flicker when animating slow moving objects.
on May 15, 2013 at 7:47:07 pm

Hi, so i've got this stupid problem which is haunting me for years now,
and it's the only one i haven't been able to solve ever, as for now.

So the nature of my problem is as follows:
Whenever i'm trying to animate anything slowly, the animation starts to flicker - or however else to You could call it - it prevents me from making nice slow position changes and i've been trying everything i could find, and think of myself and nothing happens.

You can see it below this link: https://vimeo.com/66264335

It doesn't seem to be the case of my machine spec cause it's quite good, and also i've been testing it on the other computer also with the same effect.

I've been trying to render it on bigger fps than 25, and the effect seems to be less of a problem, but eventually i need to stick to 25 cause this animation goes to TV and in Europe we use PAL system so it's 25 FPS.

I've albo been trying to render it into the TIFF sequence, and importing it back to After effects, but without success, cause the effect is the same.

Also i've been trying to give it a motion blur, or at least slight fast blur, and still doesn't seem to be working, and to be honest in this kind of animation iw ould prefer not to use those.

So if You have any answer for this, then please help asap cause the deadline is very short, and i've got so much to do. Thank You :D

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: After effects problem - flicker when animating slow moving objects.
on May 15, 2013 at 8:57:21 pm

See this:
http://kb2.adobe.com/community/publishing/908/cpsid_90843.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Lukasz Kondek
on May 15, 2013 at 9:21:53 pm

Hey Todd, Thanks for reply!

I've seen this article, and also a lot of Your replies in similar topics,
but i've still decided to try this in hope that maybe something has changed,
but with Your answer now i'm almost certain that i was wrong.

The only else thing i've yet hope for is this piece of expression:

"speedPxPerFrame = 2;
currentFrame = (time - inPoint)/thisComp.frameDuration;

value - [0, currentFrame*speedPxPerFrame]"

Which has been pasted in one of the thread by Walter Soyka. I've tested it and it seems to be working, but it produces the vertical position change, and i need the horizontal one, so could You or anyone else explain me what i can do to change this kind of movement, and how to change it's speed? I'm not very good at expressions, and maybe this could be a solution.

Thanks in advance :)

With best regards
Luke

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 15, 2013 at 9:33:48 pm

That expression trick for vertical motion is to prevent the specific kind of flickering that comes from interlacing. The judder that you're experiencing with horizontal motion is an entirely different thing, with entirely different solutions.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Lukasz Kondek
on May 15, 2013 at 9:37:11 pm

Well then it seems, i'm doomed cause none of the solution that could be found in the above article seems to be helping me. Maybe the one with calculating apropriate frames number, for appropriate position change could but suck at calculating anything, so it's nog very good.

Anyway, thanks again :D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2013 at 4:59:50 pm

The problem with judder becomes more common at lower frame rates, and it is most apparent in horizontal motion.

If you have no other choice than than to work at 25 progressive frames per second, you have two options, both of which affect the horizontal speed:
Modify the distance of the horizontal animation
Modify the duration of the horizontal animation

Because velocity = distance / time

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mato Kokotic
on May 16, 2013 at 7:16:17 pm

Maybe I'm mistaking, but...

Did you applied motion blur? I think it can solve problem from your video. Try higher bitrate too...

Return to posts index

Lukasz Kondek
on May 16, 2013 at 7:33:27 pm

Well motion blur doesn't work, and i've tried standard AE one, and CC Force and even RSMB.

What i haven't tried is to change the bitrate, and i'll make some tests but to be honest i don't know how it could possible help me in this situation. Nevertheless thanks for this idea :D

Return to posts index

Isidro Padron
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:42:52 pm

Hi, I've been having a similar problem. I solved it by saving the RAM preview, I don't know why but the flickering is almost gone.

I hope this helps you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]