FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects XML editing....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Udell
After Effects XML editing....
on May 14, 2013 at 7:41:56 pm

Hi all...

Looking at adapting a browser based tool we have for encoding templates to owork with After Effects (away from Motion).

Pretty simple stuff. The Project will contain reference to a video file, where the browser replaces the path the file with the path we supply and thus comps will then use the new ftg.

I'm poking around in the .aepx on a Mac. The path to the file is referenced in HFS. I suppose this isn't a problem as long as the person doing the work in a browser on a Mac. This will be true for our closed environment most of the time.

But PC's could find their way into the mix. So in that case paths to files would no longer be HFS.

I suppose I could build 2 different versions of the code to deal with each platform....but it seems there ought to be one way to deal with this....

open to suggestions or insight....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects XML editing....
on May 14, 2013 at 8:12:31 pm

Here is information straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak;
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Look for the section called "Project Formats".

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 14, 2013 at 8:37:33 pm

[Alex Udell] "Looking at adapting a browser based tool we have for encoding templates to owork with After Effects (away from Motion)."

Ok, that's cool. I'd love to chat with you sometime.

[Alex Udell] "I'm poking around in the .aepx on a Mac. The path to the file is referenced in HFS. I suppose this isn't a problem as long as the person doing the work in a browser on a Mac. This will be true for our closed environment most of the time."

I just opened a Mac-saved AEPX on a PC. It followed the relative paths and everything relinked.

I also bounce AEPs back and forth from PC to Mac all the time, and having to re-link is extremely rare. I think Ae is a lot more tolerant of cross-platform path formatting than some other Adobe apps (Pr, I'm looking at you).

You should do some more involved testing with AEPX than I have, but it could be that you will be fine as long as the relative path is ok.

Another option might be to programmatically generate two versions of the AEPX, one for Mac and one for PC, handling the file path conversion in your app. (Though version control of the resulting project files might be problematic!)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on May 15, 2013 at 1:27:40 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I just opened a Mac-saved AEPX on a PC. It followed the relative paths and everything relinked.

I also bounce AEPs back and forth from PC to Mac all the time, and having to re-link is extremely rare. I think Ae is a lot more tolerant of cross-platform path formatting than some other Adobe apps (Pr, I'm looking at you). "

Good to know...thanks Walter!

[Walter Soyka] "Ok, that's cool. I'd love to chat with you sometime."

Happy to.
drop me an e-mail: audell999 (at) ya-who

thanks!

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]