FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyboard Shortcuts for Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schmidt
Keyboard Shortcuts for Effects
on May 2, 2013 at 9:45:52 am

How can I assign keyboard shortcuts to effects? Like command-L for levels or cmd-M for curves (like in Photoshop). I can't seem to find the effects in the preferences shortcut file.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Keyboard Shortcuts for Effects
on May 2, 2013 at 2:20:24 pm

There are not shortcuts for specific effects.

If you want the ability to assign shortcuts to specific effects, you should submit a feature request:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2013 at 2:25:18 pm

Almost all of the most obvious keyboard shortcuts are already being used by AE. Besides, I don't think it's possible in the first place.

Now, if you think it would be helpful, you can ask Adobe to include it in a future version:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Sure, Adobe people read this forum, but the feature request is the way to get some action. They do it by looking at the frequency of the requests. So if you want something, you have to ask like they vote in Chicago: early and often.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 2, 2013 at 3:51:33 pm

Since you mention Command and not Control I'm assuming you're on a Mac.

Using the Keyboard Preferences on a Mac you can assign any keyboard shortcut you want.

Just make sure you disable "Use System Shortcut Keys" in After Effects General Prefs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 2, 2013 at 4:00:25 pm

I may not be the brightest candle in the chandelier, but that "use system shortcut keys" workaround sounds like a easy way to get into trouble very quickly.

Just for my own enlightenment, I'd be curious to know about the advantages of using it. I presume it would be useful under limited circumstances, I just can't think of any.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on May 2, 2013 at 10:24:59 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I may not be the brightest candle in the chandelier, but that "use system shortcut keys" workaround sounds like a easy way to get into trouble very quickly.

Just for my own enlightenment, I'd be curious to know about the advantages of using it. I presume it would be useful under limited circumstances, I just can't think of any.
"

@Dave

Its not as dangerous as it sounds.

This only disables the Mac OS Keyboard shortcuts when After Effects is the application with keyboard focus. For example, Command + M on the Mac minimizes the foreground application – the system shortcut key = Command + M. If you wish to assign Command + M to After Effects "Add to Render Queue" then you would disable using system shortcuts in favour of using the shortcut you assign to After Effects.

And Dave, your candle burns brightly here, you've saved my bacon many times with your advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 3, 2013 at 6:08:43 pm

Thanks for the info and the kind remark.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayer
on May 2, 2013 at 5:28:44 pm

You might check the UIPanel "Quick_Fx_Pallette". I think it's on aescripts.com. It puts a trim button pallet in your workspace that you can modify (in the code) with the effects you most often use.

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
Thanks everybody!
on May 3, 2013 at 2:03:04 pm

Thanks everybody! I will put in a feature request. For now, I am using Ridley's trick and it works great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]