FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-Set Monitor color - Rosco 205 half cto

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sutter
On-Set Monitor color - Rosco 205 half cto
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:12:58 am

Good evening. So i have 5 on-set monitors that i have been fighting with color. They are fed by the aux feeds from the switcher and go from sdi-hdmi into the monitor. They are lcd monitors. My question is, i know about using 205 half cto to correct the color of stuff when i am shooting the monitor with a camera but what settings/filters would i use in after effects to apply to logos or footage?

I dont have a hardware color corrector so i am trying to add a filter to footage/logos so that when the lcd is shot with a camera the colors are correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction of filters/settings. I know about tiffen dfx plugin and the ability to just apply the 205 filter but i dont want to spend 500 on the plugin when its just a simple filter.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: On-Set Monitor color - Rosco 205 half cto
on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:39:12 pm

The way I did this in the past - 14 years at a broadcast facility - was to create a color correction overlay in AE - a cooling filter, so to speak.

I would create one version of this color correction on an adjustment layer - top layer - then create 3 or 4 versions of it with maybe 5, 10, 15, and 20 percent opacity. Save these as presets, and then roll each individual CC overlay in the set monitor to tape (or whatever medium you're working with), each version marked with a CG to identify it. Then march into the control room with the Production Manager (or Promo Manager - or News Director - whoever had the final say) and get a final yea or nay.

It's actually easier to just shoot each version live to the control room, but then you have to rely on your memory, and that of your boss, and we all know how useful ass covers are when the boss changes his mind, and you don't have the decision in writing. I'm not giving you any specific guidelines for the CC, other than "bluer", because your cameras, studio lighting, monitor color temperature, and a dozen other things (mood the boss was in) might effect it. You've got to rely on your eyes to match what they see to what the camera sees, then lock it, and load the preset for every animated loop, ID, or whatever, goes into the monitors. Then you can relax...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sutter
on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:43:11 pm

Joe,

Thank you for the response. I think i need to warm it up actually as opposed to cool it down. right now the reds are looking a little pink and the other colors seem a little blue.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Apr 23, 2013 at 4:21:47 pm

Scott -

You know what - I had it backwards, Scott - I think I need another cup of coffee. It was warming color correction I used. The studio cameras always made the source footage in the monitors have a blue cast to them. Sorry about the brain cramp...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:07:13 pm

[Scott Sutter] "I dont have a hardware color corrector so i am trying to add a filter to footage/logos so that when the lcd is shot with a camera the colors are correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction of filters/settings. I know about tiffen dfx plugin and the ability to just apply the 205 filter but i dont want to spend 500 on the plugin when its just a simple filter. "

I don't know the specific color you'd want to use, but you could apply the Photo Filter [link] and use one of the warming presets.

You can also add a warm solid layer, choose Color as the transfer mode, and adjust the opacity.

You can also add a Curves effect, push up reds and push down blues.

You can also apply the bundled Color Finesse [link] effect for all kinds of control.

There are many possible approaches to warm up your footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]