FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere and After Effects crash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Malcolm DeSoto
Premiere and After Effects crash
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:14:42 pm

This is kind of both an after effects question and a Premiere question but here it goes...

System:

Windows 7 Pro
3.2GHz hexcore i7
64 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570

After Effects and Premiere 5.5

I've been having trouble rendering in both After Effects and Premiere. In Premiere, the progress bar will just freeze and I have to force quit the application. In After Effects, I'll get a message that say it had to quit the render and the file may be corrupt. I checked all of the files and they're all fine. Just a lot of 1080 DSLR footage and some simple graphics.

I did my rough edit in premiere and the color grade/vfx in after effects. I think the problem might be the dynamic link feature which I'm using. It seems to slow everything down.

I have a 120GB SSD set as the disk cache. Could that be an issue? I'm also working from an external drive connected vie esata.

Sometimes, if I just restart the computer, everything will run smoother.

Any ideas on how to smooth out this work flow a little more?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Premiere and After Effects crash
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:04:15 pm

I do a lot of dynamic linking between PrP and AE on a PC (HPZ820). I can tell you that in CS6 it is MUCH more stable.

Malcolm, try this workflow and see if it helps.

1. Cut in PrP
2. Select clip on TL and send to AE as DL
3. Work on comp in AE.Save.
4. Check in PrP. Render in PrP if needed to view.
5. Refine back in AE. When satisfied, I export as DNxHD making sure I check "Project Link" in the AE export queue dialog box.
6. I import into PrP and replace the DL version of the clip on the timeline with the DNxHD movie.
7. If I need to change thing, I select clip and right click. Then select "Edit Original". Boom, the AE project opens and I make revisions.

Also it might be a good idea to delete all your Media Cache and Preview files in their respective folders, just to clear out old junk that might be screwing things up. Then open PrP and try this flow out.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Malcolm DeSoto
on May 28, 2013 at 2:07:48 am

Sorry for the very late reply. I've been up to my elbows in deadlines. This post was very helpful and has been working very well! This seems to be a great workaround. Can't wait to upgrade to CS6 and enjoy a smoother DL process.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 28, 2013 at 3:23:57 am

No problem Malcolm. Glad to help.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfV20RTBQmUxgDXDkRHDC_j2f62vBUF_n&fea...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]