FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scramble words on a line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Scollon
Scramble words on a line
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:48:16 pm

I'm trying to animate words on a line scrambling around with the text character offset. It must keep the words intact. I know there is a particular form of this but I'm looking for an alternate route. I also posted this in the expression forum because it may just involve expressions.

example:
bug nest lady net car desk ear

and the words on the line would scramble with the character offset.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Scramble words on a line
on Apr 17, 2013 at 7:23:52 pm

I believe that can be done with the Text Animation Presets, and a bit of customization. Take a browse through the presets (in Adobe Bridge) and see if any of them is close to what you want, then it's a pretty simple matter of tweaking the settings. I think that there are settings in there (I'm not in front of AE at the moment) which will allow you to limit the animation to Line, or Word, etc..

If you have to keep the number of characters in the word constant, that might be a job for Expressions...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 17, 2013 at 7:49:31 pm

To build your own you need to type your text then add a Character Value Animation effect to the text. Here a 2 screen capture for you to figure out the rest of the process. Good luck!

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Emily Scollon
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:26:44 pm

I will try the preset there is an expression one that may work... i'll play around!
Tom, I need the words to scramble as full words, and retain their legibility, which is why i find this to be a little extra tricky!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:43:55 pm

[Emily Scollon] "...I need the words to scramble as full words, and retain their legibility..."

Then I recommend against text animators. Instead, create one text layer per word, put them in a horizontal aline and animate the horizontal position of each layer.

It might also be helpful to parent all the text layers to a null object. If you get into a trouble spot when animating the individual text layers, just animate the horizontal position of the null to help you out.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emily Scollon
on Apr 18, 2013 at 3:19:25 am

Thanks Dave the part I left out is I need it to be continuous, for a matrix like effect. I suppose I could do it manually and add a loop expression!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:44:56 pm

There are options in the animation dialog for the effect to affect characters,words and lines. See if that meets your needs.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]