FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Channel 32bit render problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thallis von Holck
Red Channel 32bit render problem
on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08:18 pm

I couldn't really find a good solution to this problem.
The problem occurs when i render out a red saturated graphic from AE (32bit Linear) - the highlights gets washed out. I have read about this problem before, but can't find the article again ):
I can't really find a good work around to this without changing the colors of the graphics.

So does any know some good tips that can help me.

Thanks
Here is some images to describe.

Screenshot from Comp Window

Render

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Red Channel 32bit render problem
on Mar 3, 2013 at 7:29:12 pm

That is most likely because you have linearize color space for 32bit on- turn that off and you should get the same result as in comp window.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Thallis von Holck
on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:50:36 am

But what if i would like to stay in 32-bit? It gives me better results. Isn't there a way to render out the 32-bit without changing the look so drastic.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 4, 2013 at 11:32:37 am

You can render any kind of file that you want- for 32bit you will get large files though that are not meant for delivery (playback)though.
Work @32bit in your comp just don't linearize the color space when you render (in whatever format) and you should get the same look you see in your comp window.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Thallis von Holck
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:10:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.

What settings do you use, I cant get it to look correct. Try a lot of different settings and also what you suggested. How can AE make a render that looks like the comp ( 32bit Linear ) to normal 8bit 1.0 Gamma or so ??

Sorry but my understanding for this as a bit slappy, and i need to make those nice looking renders :D Please help.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:22:29 am

[Thallis von Holck] "But what if i would like to stay in 32-bit?"

You could export to something like an OpenEXR sequence but you can't really watch that anywhere as Tudor said. Those insanely big bit depths are pretty much reserved for CGI and film post where you want to keep as much data as possible before you bring it down to whatever the final thing is.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:47:17 am

This happens because the "white hot" color is only a combination of red and green. When the red and green values get clipped to 1.0 they become an uninspiring orange/yellow color.

The best solution I've found for maintaining the 32bpc look in cases like these is to add an Adjustment Layer at the top of your composition with a Levels effect applied with something like the following values:

Input Black: 1.0
Input White: 50.0
Gamma: 0.5
Output Black: 0.0
Output White: 50.0
Clip To Output Black: On
Clip To Output White: Off

Then apply the Tint effect and set the Adjustment Layer to the 'Add' blend mode.

What this essentially does is take all of the superwhite values in the composition, tints them and adds that tinted color back into the underlying values. This gives the "white hot" red/green areas some blue so that they stay "white hot" in the render. Changing the Input/Output White values and the Gamma value here have the biggest effect, just make sure that your Input and Output White values are always the same.

You could also add another Adjustment Layer at the top of your composition, apply the Levels effect, leave it at its defaults except change both 'Clip To' settings to 'On' and this will give you a preview of what your render will look like (you can set it to a 'Guide' layer if you don't want it to be considered for the render).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]