FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating Write On Effect from Vector Art Created with Illustrator in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Leary
Animating Write On Effect from Vector Art Created with Illustrator in AE
on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:04:03 pm

As the subject basically sums up, I'm trying to do a write on effect in AE with vector art (caricature drawings, etc) created in Illustrator.

I prepped the illustrator file in AE by selecting all paths and choosing "release to layers sequence". And I can get vector art into AE, choosing >import> import as - "Composition - Retain Layer Sizes" but can't figure out how to do write a write on effect with those paths.

Basically we are doing a digital whiteboard project and the artist/illustrator prefers using Illustrator instead of drawing directly in AE. We need to imitate the drawing on look. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been searching the forums and finally decided to do a post.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Animating Write On Effect from Vector Art Created with Illustrator in AE
on Mar 2, 2013 at 9:36:36 pm

There's a good discussion of why to use stop motion here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4191108

It would seem to me that it will be way more time consuming to do it in AE than it would be to shoot stop motion. A lot of it depends on the design and flow of the project. I generally do Write-on effects by using the Paint plugin, drawing masks over the lines, then playing back the mask animation to reveal the art.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Brian Leary
on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:31:05 pm

Thanks for your answer Joe. LaRonde really lays out a solid method. I will take a look into painting masks over each of the lines. I was hoping there was a method that wouldn't involve such a time consuming and laborious method. Perhaps I'm dreaming. I just know how many lines I'm going to have to reveal - and its going to be quite a task.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:25:13 pm

It may be that, depending upon your design, you can simplify the writing on of images by substituting wipes, or soft wipes on parts of the image, "implying" the effect rather than out and out doing it. Much of this type of effect happens so quickly that it's tough to percieve whether there's actually a real write on happening, or a partial effect which pulls it off perceptually...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:33:02 pm

I just took an introductory AE course and it seems to me all you need to do is keyframe a garbage mask or a crop on each item.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]