FORUMS: list search recent posts

Framerate mess - converting framerates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
Framerate mess - converting framerates
on Feb 21, 2013 at 4:42:09 pm

I have source footage with different framerates that I need to combine later in Premiere. From my personal experience the standard solutions like interpretation and frame blending don't give good results.

The "best" solution that I heard about so far is to use Twixtor. But I read it can be very slow and is not specifically made for framerate conversion.

Can someone make a recommendation how to make good and reasonably fast framerate conversions without having to spend hours during the setup process?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Framerate mess - converting framerates
on Feb 21, 2013 at 5:46:57 pm

What are the PRECISE frame rates you're talking about? "Precise" means 23.976 instead of 24, 59.94 instead of 60, etc.

And what is the frame rate of the completed work you will deliver?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Feb 21, 2013 at 6:15:19 pm

The source footage fps for this particular project is 23.976 and 30
I need to deliver in 25 fps. It's also planned to upload a version to youtube once it's done. While youtube basically takes "everything" I think that it's best to upload 30 fps for best results.

To make a long story short... I am actually looking for a flexible solution which I can use for "all" framerate combinations which I will run into in the future. The question is not limited to solving this specific project.

So if you have any suggestion for a good and reliable "allround" solution I would be grateful.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:03:31 pm

i don't know that you'll find an all around solution that you can use in any situation...

the ae manual does have some pretty good info for conforming frame rates from ntsc to pal, so you should read up on that.

for the 23.976 footage, you could try using the interpret footage settings and conform the frame rate to 25fps. or you could drop it into a 25fps comp and time stretch it 104.27%.

if your 30fps footage is interlaced, use the interpret footage settings to separate fields and enable the smooth edges option. then drop that into a 25fps comp and ram preview to see if that will work. if it makes the footage look like the shutter angle is too tight, then try enabling frame blending (frame mix) and see if that helps to smoothing it out. i've used this method to quickly conform 30i to 24p fairly successfully, and i think it would work well here.

if it is 30p, then the only quick way would be to drop it into a 25fps comp, and you may get some stutters from the dropped frames.

as for youtube, if the final is 25fps, i'd plan to upload 25fps to youtube. that should give you better quality than trying to conform it to yet another frame rate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:03:17 pm

As Kevin says, there really isn't a "one-size-fits-all" solution. There are too many issues involved: video clips with a lip-sync audio track and interlacing are the worse headaches. You have to be careful not to make mistakes, too.

But Twixtor DOES do a pretty good job: it's what it was made for, in fact.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:31:58 am

Thanks to both of you for the in depth info.

I actually expected that by now there would exist a "simple/standard" solution, since framerate conversion seems to be such an everyday problem for many people.
Guess we all have to wait a little longer for that one click wonder ; )

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:13:06 pm

as chris pointed out there is hardware that can do this very well and very quickly.

timewarp will do it too, it just takes some time to analyze the pixels each frame and generate new frames -- there are other third party plugins too, i think dave may have mentioned twixtor.

the best process is to know the destination/delivery specs and work with those specs throughout, but sometimes you're just given footage that doesn't match and have to make the best of it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Larry Bourne
on Feb 22, 2013 at 12:13:13 pm

Hello!

I've edited videos for a client in Asia on CS6. Shot at 1080p 25fps and edited in the timeline as such. The client is asking for the files to be delivered for broadcast in Asia at "full HD resolution ProRes (HQ) in 59.94i". What do you recommend I do in this situation?

Thanks for your help and guidance!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:15:50 pm

look in the manual for converting 25p to 24p, then you'll just need to add a pulldown to make the 24p 60i (that should also be in the manual).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:06:26 pm

"Can someone make a recommendation how to make good and reasonably fast framerate conversions without having to spend hours during the setup process?"

I humbly recommend you try an instant hardware solution such as teranex by blackmagic design
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranex/

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:02:02 am

[Marc Nibor] "Can someone make a recommendation how to make good and reasonably fast framerate conversions without having to spend hours during the setup process?"

Telestream Episode

Return to posts index

Lori Freitag
on Feb 25, 2013 at 7:08:23 pm

As Dave points out, Twixtor was made for this and does do a good job of converting frame rates. It does not convert the audio, just the video. We have tutorials to learn how to Frame rate convert with Twixtor here on Creative Cow and on our website. You can always download a demo version of Twixtor for free to try it first as well. http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

Return to posts index

Keith Slavin
on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:15:44 am

"Can someone make a recommendation how to make good and reasonably fast framerate conversions without having to spend hours during the setup process?"

Check out Viarte - a file-based, mountable, drag-and-drop, MC standards-conversion / transcoding server to be released fairly soon from isovideo.com. Viarte can be configured easily. If you would like to try a few test clips, contact them directly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]