FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer order mysteriously changes color effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoffrey Amend
Layer order mysteriously changes color effect
on Feb 16, 2013 at 3:07:52 am

I am animating a map of the U.S. Its an illustrator file where each state is a separate layer--also ai files. For whatever reason every state is a different color.

For the purposes of my video I am separating the map into regions--groups of states. I am doing simple scale and position motion with a null object. With an adjustment layer I added a drop shadow and a "Change to color" effect. I duplicated the change to color effect and eye dropped the from color for each state and kept he to color consistent until the entire group of states is the same color. Then I added a stroke layer style to each individual state ai layer so the state outlines would be visible. I precomped each region and then made a comp with these precomps. It is this final composition that I placed ino my final composition.

Question/issue. When I move the region precomps into the intermediate composition the colors of he other precomped regions changes. If I change the layer index, this also generates a seemingly random color change.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this or if the layers in ai format are a problem or if here is some leak or bleed with the layers? I also noticed the drop shadow acting funky previously. Like multiple shadows. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Layer order mysteriously changes color effect
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:40:41 am

If you're using collapse transformations on a pre-comp the adjustment layers inside it will affect any layers below that pre-comp. In such a situation I'd recommend applying the effects to the individual layers inside the pre-comp rather than an adjustment layer.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 16, 2013 at 9:46:32 am

With an adjustment layer I added a drop shadow and a "Change to color" effect. kept he to color consistent until the entire group of states is the same color.

You can apply FILL EFFECT to change the overall color. Follow Darby's advice on not applying Drop Shadow to an adjustment layer.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Geoffrey Amend
on Feb 16, 2013 at 1:36:43 pm

Thank you very much. Super helpful. I got it now.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 16, 2013 at 1:48:14 pm

Glad we could help

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel: