FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide Marchesi
Lighting effect
on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:40:32 am

Hello everyone,

I'm not quite a proficient user and I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me a hand to figure out how to achieve some lighting effects similar to those in this video:

I'm not even sure how much of it is post-production and what exactly is just cinematography and actual footage. Any help on getting closer to that look would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Lighting effect
on Feb 16, 2013 at 11:15:40 am

Davide

It seems that all lighting effects are natural. May be few of them(though I don't think so) are composited in post. The lighting effects are because of the way that place has been lit. My guess is a filter has been used to create this kind of lighting effect and changing the focus of camera(lights are out of focus). You will get a better result if you achieve this while shooting the video.

Go through this post: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/988983

It may help.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 16, 2013 at 2:03:29 pm

As Vishesh say, it appears that most of the effects are as a result of the lighting setup, but mainly as a result of the camera setup, with pretty shallow depth of field, which allows for the lights in the stage area to be thrown out of focus.

It also looks to me as if there are some Film Artifacts used tastefully in some places as well, such as Light Leaks, and other light related effects available from a number of sources, such as Artbeats and Pond5. You can also create them yourself in After Effects, using hand drawn shapes in various colors, which you then blur and use with various compositing modes (additive, overlay, etc.). It's a very subtle look, nicely done.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:28:32 pm

Thank you Vishesh and Joseph for your help and your tips. Do you mean that all those tricks were done on camera, during the concert and none of it is overlayed/composited footage? That's really amazing. Thanks a lot again, I'll try to look into it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:47:08 pm

I saw nothing that absolutely required shooting at an actual music venue. I think this video was shot in a studio. I think this shoot was carefully planned with very good PLANNED shot selection, by a very good director and director of photography.

Everything could have been done in a studio where one can create the ILLUSION of being a cabaret, but where one can control the shot selection and the audience... or should I say, the EXTRAS? When the camera shoot up at the ceiling, all you see are lights. You don't see any ceiling material. Your mind accepts the illusion that there is a ceiling.

The giveaway was the trucking shot from the back of the room. How many times have you seen an actual music venue where all 40 people in the audience sit in the first 4 rows, with about 8 meters of empty space between the back row and the camera? The out-of-focus vertical images between the camera and the audience are easy to make in After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 16, 2013 at 8:51:03 pm

As Joseph said you can create the effects in AE with some stock footage of lights and then blending them in a very subtle way with your footage. Though its better if you learn how to achieve this through camera. I don't think it would be too difficult to do so. You have to learn about Depth of field a little and you can get these effects after experimenting for some time.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Davide Marchesi
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:21:48 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. You helped me understand the way the video was shot, I'll give it a try sometime soon!

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:06:00 am

Check out this Free Light Leaks collection:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]