FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion blur stopped working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osborne
Motion blur stopped working
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:03:45 pm

Hi
I have a 16 bit comp with lots of layers. Some with motion blur some without. Motion blur was working fine. Now it's stopped working! I have the switches enabled for the layers and the comp. The only thing I changed was I interpeted the footage to match the original footage, because there was no color profile embedded in it. The footage are stills from photoshop that I have applied an animated bezier warp to. Any suggestions on how I might get motion blur working again?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Motion blur stopped working
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:12:06 pm

Show us a screenshot of the Timeline panel for the affected composition and layer(s).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:26:49 pm

Sorry not on an adjustment layer but directly to the Precomp.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:25:36 pm

Check the Shutter Angle in Composition settings. By default it is 180 degrees.

Alternatives:

Precompose all layers and apply CC Force Motion Blur on an adjustment layer.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:36:51 pm

Hmmm, these are what my comp settings are for motion blur. Should they be something else?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:42:23 pm

ellen

Try increasing the Shutter Angle to 180 or 360. I have uploaded a screenshot with default settings in my earlier post.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:45:39 pm

Ok I did the pre comp and used cc force motion blur. That works, but why doesn't regular motion blur work?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:46:46 pm

Read my previous post.

Vishesh Arora
Films Rajendra

Blog:

2011 3D Demo Reel:

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:32:30 pm

The layers that should be working with motion blur and have stopped working are the two sax layers.

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Feb 9, 2013 at 4:52:04 pm

If I turn the motion blur all the way up to 720. I START to see some blur.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:35:46 pm

Just to be explicit: Are these layers in fact in motion such that there _should_ be motion blur? Since your screenshot shows the layers collapsed, we can't see whether these layers have animated transform properties.

Are you expecting there to be motion blur from the animation of the Bezier Warp effect? If so, as Visheh says, that is a wrong expectation. You would need to fake the motion blur using an effect like the one that Vishesh mentions (though I'd use Timewarp, personally).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Feb 9, 2013 at 5:45:59 pm

What's strange is that motion blur seemed to be working on these layers before. I did change from 8 bit to 16 bit. Don't know if that made a difference. However, maybe I was just getting some motion blur from other transformations and not the bezier warp. I will use timewarp or cc force to get more of the effect that I want. What's the difference between the two? Thank you for the suggestions.

Here is a screen shot of what is going on in the layer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2013 at 8:38:06 pm

I don't see a whole lot of actual motion going on, so there isn't much motion blur going on.

On the frame where your CTI (timeline cursor) is set, the Position property is done animating, and the Scale property hasn't started to animate yet. The only things that are animating are the corners of the layer to which you applied Bezier Warp, and we can't tell how quickly they're supposed to animate.

Motion Blur reacts to speed. Speed is determined by the amount of movement over time. If there isn't a lot of speed, there won't be a lot of Motion Blur.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]