FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can this all be done in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Gibson
Can this all be done in AE?
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:14:38 pm

I'm a relative beginner in AE so I'm keen to hear the opinions of those who really know their way around it. Is all the 3D animation work in the video linked above possible in AE or would you need to do some of it in a dedicated 3D app like 3DS Max or Cinema 4D?

If the latter, any recommendations for which is the easiest for a beginner but will still be capable of achieving the results in the video above?

Thanks
Jesse

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Can this all be done in AE?
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:24:59 pm

Jesse -

It looks to me as if this could be done using Element 3D within AE, but it's probably nothing a beginner would want to attempt. There are a lot of advanced techniques going on here - but it does look to me as if Element 3D may have played a role in it, since it has the ability to create "groups" of replicated particles (3d particles, from obj files or text from within AE) and the "morph" them into other particles.

You might want to take a look at some of the tutorials on the VideoCopilot site to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/element_animation_engine/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:25:01 pm

I'd say the lion's share of the work -- the stuff over the white background -- was done in a 3D application. The open, close, and just a couple of the graphics could have been done in AE.

There are too many morphs, beveled & curved edges and reactions to the environmental lighting, to make it a practical thing to do in AE.

Sure, you could probably pull it off in AE, but you said yourself that you're an AE beginner. You have to learn the AE basics first. How many weeks or months do you have to devote to full-time learning just to do it in AE when it's better done in a 3D app?

I'm not kidding about the time......

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:39:42 pm

Wow...answers two seconds apart. I think Dave is right - and I was kind of tiptoeing around it - it's really not a job for a beginner, but that said, it certainly would bring your skills up, after all the head-scratching and nail-biting. But I still think it could be done in Element 3D. I work in 3D Studio Max all the time, and it amazes me what you can do with Element 3D - no "real" ray-tracing, though, but you can get verrry close.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Brewer
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:02:37 pm

Agreed, to my eye it was almost certainly C4D, most the tricks there are pretty straight forward mograph stuff, mind you VideoCopilots Elements looks pretty amazing for its simplicity and use in AE so as posted above that would be a good start. Sure you don't want to do it in 2D anyway: :p

Anyway, good luck & I hope your brief is a bit more ethical than food speculation ;)

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:30:37 pm

I also concur. But no need to buy C4D. The latest version of Blender is more than capable to do this kind of thing as well. But only after learning how to use 3D software. Lots of complicated stuff going on at times.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2013 at 7:15:20 pm

Joe Bourke: ...I work in 3D Studio Max all the time, and it amazes me what you can do with Element 3D...

Considering I do 3D only if someone holds a gun to my head, I'll defer to your judgement, sir.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Interesting to read your replies however...
on Feb 1, 2013 at 7:21:10 pm

I beg to differ. I thing all of it can be done in AE using ShapeShifter AE and CC Card Wipe. Please check out the example posted below - especially at the end. Similar text transitions done with the above mentioned. The use of SSAE makes it possible to combine AE text animation presets as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
Re: Interesting to read your replies however...
on Feb 1, 2013 at 10:29:16 pm

Great work Tudor! Here is something else I put together this afternoon:

Mettle Logo | ShapeShifter AE

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Jesse Gibson
on Feb 2, 2013 at 9:36:05 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Some really great feedback. I didn't expect that I'd be able to produce all of those elements in AE but it's reassuring to know that many of them (or perhaps all of them) can be.

Perhaps I'm overstating it when I say I'm new to AE; I'm a professional video producer but my strength is on the editing and shooting side rather than motion graphics. That said I do know my way around AE and I'm looking to improve my AE skills so the more I can do in AE the better. I've already been eyeing off Element 3D so that looks like a good starting point, especially given some of the packs it has. Blender has also been on my wish list for a while so perhaps Blender or a trial of C4D should be my next step.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Cheers
Jesse

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Feb 1, 2013 at 10:43:30 pm

I'll add another vote for a 3D app or as Ted suggests a third party 3D plug-in like Element, Shape Shifter or Zaxwerks Invigorator.

Much of the work can be done in AE CS6: the 3D rings, cubes, shadows, text animations, card wipe etc. The sphere is another matter, you'll need a 3D app or plug in for that.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Feb 2, 2013 at 2:41:25 pm

Another consideration should be Zaxwerks Proanimtor. It has wonderful 3D text animation capabilities.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Feb 4, 2013 at 11:48:02 am

- BTW -- the sphere can be done in CC sphere which is part of the standard package though this one does look as if its done in a 3D package --

-- if I were looks after thos project I would use a combination of 3D and AE as I think it would be cost effective .....

---- on the job I reckon the 3d bits are done in a 3D app not sure about the rest .

-------------- chris --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]