FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't ram preview with two displays

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec iselin
Can't ram preview with two displays
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:47:19 am

Hi everyone. So I'm running after effects on a lenovo w520: quad core i7, 12 gigs ram, nvidia quadro 1000m 1 gig vram. I just recently got a monitor so I could work on two screens. However when I use the monitor, after effects won't ram preview unless I turn off multi processing. I get the message in the info panel that says "unable to open projects in background." It doesn't matter which display I have set as the primary display. I have also tried looking through the nvidia control panel, but nothing there seemed to affect the problem. whatchathink?

Return to posts index

alec iselin
Re: Can't ram preview with two displays
on Jan 24, 2013 at 7:49:28 am

Okay now I can't ram preview with even just one display. Tried restarting the machine but to no avail. For some reason After effects isn't able to connect to the background processes. I don't know what's causing this, but would really like to fix it. I have after effects set to run as admin. I have it set as an exception of avg. I tried turning off avg. I have tried all sorts of combinations of allocated ram and cores. I've cleared out the caches and purged the memory. After effects is just being stubborn.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:01:05 pm

this is just a stab in the dark, but if you have ae set to open under a different user, the render engines (background processes) may need to use the same user as ae.

in task manager, what user shows up for the background processes (i think they are named 'afterfx.exe' in windows).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:17:49 pm

Do you have this problem with all projects? Try creating a new project with just a simple composition with a simple animation---like a solid-color layer moving across the screen. Does that work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

alec iselin
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:45:45 pm

Just tried a simple solid layer animation. no luck. And Todd I don't think it has to do with the user since I am the only user on the computer. Granted when I checked the security details for after effects, It listed the priveleges for me, administrator and then one other one that was just a technical name for me. each of these users had full access. and in the task manager under users it only lists me as a user. So I don't think that would be the problem.

Return to posts index

alec iselin
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:28:40 am

Okay So I brought my laptop with me to the studio so I could transfer footage right after the shoot. I was just playing with after effects afterward and the ram preview worked. Checked multi-processing and it was on. So I'm not sure what that was about. Back in my apartment it still works. I connected my monitor while it was ram previewing and it still works. So all in all it's looking good. However I have since closed after effects so who knows if it will be fine when I reopen it. I think after effects might be on drugs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]